Starter gear # 4

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on when installing the #4 gear to fix my electric starter again if that wishbone spring needs to be in the original slot or can it be outside the slot shown in the tech service update bulletin talking about how to fix the electric starter from grinding
I can't seem to be able to get it in the slot (it's a 75) After squeezing it in the vice it's small enough to fit in there but I can't get it to rotate enough to get it in there
I think it should be fine where I have it now (new OEM #4 gear and new wishbone clip tightened in a vice)
Sorry for the rambling on

if that wishbone spring needs to be in the original slot or can it be outside the slot shown in the tech service update bulletin
With that bulletin, outside the slot became the normal position for it. It doesn't cause any problems. It is probably an improved wishbone spring that wouldn't fit in the slot. I had to replace mine and just put it in straight out of the box and it's been good for 15 years

Anyone have an opinion on when installing the #4 gear to fix my electric starter again if that wishbone spring needs to be in the original slot or can it be outside the slot shown in the tech service update bulletin talking about how to fix the electric starter from grinding
I can't seem to be able to get it in the slot (it's a 75) After squeezing it in the vice it's small enough to fit in there but I can't get it to rotate enough to get it in there
I think it should be fine where I have it now (new OEM #4 gear and new wishbone clip tightened in a vice)
Sorry for the rambling on
The wishbone was improved by making it from a larger gauge wire that won't fit in the slot. Just install it per the bulletin.

Back