Forced induction q's

Dead Roman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What are must modifications for a forced induction build? Could one feesably run stock pistons and compression on a low boost setup? also, Im going to be building my bike back to stockish bore, are there better pistons being produced out there than mikes xs? or are the mikes pistons just fine?.

mikes seems to be pretty much the only supplier. Ive been looking at Heiden, but they seem to be offering pretty much exactly the same stuff offered by mikes. From the site I cant really tell if their pricing is correct. If its in euro they are way way high.

What you need to worry about is detonation. I have done allot of study on supercharging and detonation. Go to your public library and pick up Corky Bell's book on turbocharging. He really knows his stuff except ignore anything he says about water injection. WI is a powerful anti detonant and my simple homemade system has protected my SCed engine for many years. Mr. Bell and I had discussions about WI on the old power list back in the 90's before he wrote his book.

Other than fighting detonation, it is the drugery of getting the boost device fit to the engine in the space available. I can give thoughtful tips if you give the proposed boost system and ignition.

Tom

hi years ago in australia i had a 1968 xt v8 falcon ,,,, and i put a ramcharger just under the front bumber,,, and just adjusted it over a couple of days it worked like a dream sweet as and the groul was superb regards oldbiker

Hi DR, Sorry the PM didn't come through. Just keep this thread going so more folks can read and comment.

A little roots SC is a fine way to get more power.

Drive: I just saw the coolest SC drive the other day. It wasn't an XS and it had a PM alt. The blower belt ran around the alternator rotor and the case was slotted to allow the belt to run through to the SC pulley. The most common drive is a pulley/bolt made to secure the rotor and sticking out of the side cover.

Retarding the timing is a powerful way to keep detonation at bay. A Pamco has a steep timing advance due to the points mechanical advancer used. A fast advance is great for NA low end power but will be on the verge of detonation. Stiffer springs on the weights will slow the advance. You may need to space the weights so the full advance is less than 40°.

A simple slide carb might not be a good choice for a roots blower. The slide may not return and the engine will run wild. A bit scarey! 8^o Use a butterfly throttle or a push/pull twin cable like a modern bike.

Tom

Back