Fork interchangability

killerb68

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello.....new to XS's would like to know if a later front end with dual disc capabilities will bolt on to my 71 frame.....Thanks in advance....Brian

Your neck tube is shorter, so it is not a bolt on deal. You can, however, remove your stem from your lower tree and install it into a set of trees from the later years with the disc front ends. it is just a matter of grinding or cutting the weld, pressing out the stems and swapping it in.

There are two sizes of fork tubes, 34mm and 35mm. I think the early models were the
34mm. I don't know what year they changed the size, but the tubes I put on my '71
are off of a '75 and they slide right in my trees. I did use my '71 caps in the top. So
I know anything thru '75 will fit your trees.

Attachments

• finish003.jpg
    finish003.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 125
Your neck tube is shorter, so it is not a bolt on deal. You can, however, remove your stem from your lower tree and install it into a set of trees from the later years with the disc front ends. it is just a matter of grinding or cutting the weld, pressing out the stems and swapping it in.

Interesting...the xs750 triple tree has a shorter neck than the newer xs650's. Wonder if it would be a direct swap. It would give you the dual disc setup on a beefier(36mm) set of forks, but about an inch and three quarter fork extension. Could slip the extra length up through the triple clamps, I suppose.

The 34 mm tube was used up to 76. The 76 was set up to use the later style single piston calipers. I just Checked at the Yamaha site, you can put a dual disc set up on the 76 forks.
If you find a set of 76 forks the tubes fit your 71 trees.
It may be easier to adapt the later 35 mm trees to your frame or try a XS 750, 850, 0r 1100 trees and forks. I have a set of XS1100 trees they measure 8 5/16 inches from where the seal seats to the tip of the stem.
The 74 and later XS650 tree measures 9 inches from seal to tip.
The XS1100 uses a tapered roller bearing instead of the loose balls. Maybe the XS750 and 850 do to. I wonder if the XS1100 races fit the XS650 frame. I'll have to research that.
If they do that may be a cheaper way to replace 650 loose balls to tapered rollers.
The salvages yards my sell the sets cheap. The bearings won't be worn out like loose balls.

I went back and looked at the parts list. I was wrong. The calipers on the 76 were the same as the older bikes, they just put them on the rear of the fork. They changed the calipers in 77.
You can still put a dual set up on them you just need two older style calipers.
It might still be easier to go with the 77 and later 35 mm forks. It can be tough finding the left side caliper but not as tough as finding the early left side caliper.
If the Xs750,850,1100 trees will bolt on your frame then that might be the best way. They used a 37 mm tube. Thats what the set I have measures.
They also have air caps. No air fittings in the caps just plugged with bolts. If I use them and decide to use air then I'll try to find fittings.

Back