forks, and some wiring

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So i have three questions, first im just going to be running kickstart so should i upgrade the coils and ignition, or just the coils? Second my pipe on the left side of the bike is yellow, so that means its running lean? My final question is what kind forks are these, r they stock? Wally_XS650_1-1.jpg

i'm not sure why kick only would be a reson to upgrade a coil, but I have the 17-6803 high output coil from mikexs.com, kick only,and it puts out a healthy spark at .030 gap, starts first kick cold, no choke. its a big kick though, top of the kick, and no fuckin around.
those are stock forks. is that your bike?
yellow is usually lean, blue is said to be rich. the blue version is questionable, but usually rich.
nice gaitors on those forks. I wish mike's were that nice.

Putting a hotter coil on will help it start and run better. More power and better gas milage. www.yamahaxs650.com/ Is Pamcopete's ignition web site. He has a list of coils and plugs. The list shows how each combo affected his milage.
As far as telling if a cylinder is running lean, plug chops and reading plugs is much more accurate. Your pipes change colors because it gets ridden, thats a good thing.
Those forks look stock to me. 77 or later.

Forks look like 36mm. xs750's....a little longer(3/4") than stock xs650. The brake caliper is mounted just a tad lower and the brake rotor is a little smaller in diameter.
(Nah, camera angle made them look beefier-they're 35's,stock.)
On my 'to do' list, just need to press out and exchange the tree stem. The 750 stem is shorter than the 650.

I need to get crackin'.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the advice but its not my bike, I wish it was I'm starting to tear mine down and I'm going to start a build theard also does anyone know the dimensions on a wiring cylender like the tc bros

Back