Free Play of the Kickstarter Shaft. What is Normal?

XStretchified650

Back in the 650 Saddle
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I am wondering what is considered a normal amount of in and out movement for the kickstarter shaft where it exits the engine case? On my 77 I can move the shaft back and forth, a bit more than 1/16" but less than 1/8".

I only noticed the movement when resolving a clearance issue between the kickstarter knuckle and the footrest arm. The arm was modified a bit and the kick stroke let the knuckle take the paint off of the footrest arm. I fixed the clearance issue but now want to know what is a normal amount of free play, in case I left out a shim or a washer on the shaft.

Does the seated depth of the shaft seal have any affect on the amount of free play? I would not think so but I guess it could have an effect.

Second question......at the very bottom of the kick stroke the lever is at 7:00 and the head of the securing bolt ends up aligned with the footrest knuckle. Is that correct?

XStretchified (I started her up this week...that'll be another thread)

Thanks.

Mine has more movement than that but it is freshly rebuilt with new gaskets all around. Maybe the endplay will be lessened after some miles and resetting torque on the engine cover. I dont think it will ever be as slight as .012" though. I'm not going to worry about it...

XStretchified

You may be missing the shim washer on the kicker shaft, #10 in this drawing .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y... STARTER XS650D - E - E006501- - F/parts.html

It's the last part that goes on the shaft assembly before you fit the cover back on. When removing the cover, it often clings to it then falls off and gets lost. It's just a spacer washer so you could replace it with anything that fits the shaft. Mine was missing. I pulled one off an SR500 motor I had sitting around.

I'll check for the shim washer when I do the first break-in oil change. I am pretty sure I have it in there though....I had the kickstarter disassembled for a long time and I zip tied the sequence of clips and washers onto the shaft before storing it.

Then again....I could have lost it 30 some years ago too.

XStretchified

Back