front fork bushes, tricks wanted

snailstoves

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, Anyone have any tricks or sources for the front fork bushes? These look like they are pressed into the lower sleeve, right at the top underneath the fork oil seals. Mine are a Matt grey colour. Clymer says 0.5mm clearance otherwise replace.
I've just had me forks rechromed, New seals and headstock bearing cups and bearings are brand new custom made. In short the whole front end should be solid.
Now, when I grab the front wheel and test for movement I can feel a slight thud. If I grab the newly rechromed stanchions, there's nothing. So my guess is, the steering column is good. That only leaves the bushes.

I read somewhere that the bushes are made of Teflon. I could get some and them turned up but thought I'd ask about first.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not even certain that they are xs forks.

My bike us a real bitza

The first 2 years, 70-71 XS1-XS1B/F, had steel fork lowers (part #1) with a metal upper slider bushing (part #8) that fit into the tube top (part #1), clamped under a screwed-on fork seal cap (part #10).

Everything after that used aluminum lowers, totally different setup.

Attachments

• XS1_FrontForks.jpg
    XS1_FrontForks.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 375
Ok so I found some info. The Sr500 forks look very similar to mine. I found an Sr thread where a dude was having the same issue. An answer to his thread took me here

http://www.sideburnmag.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/mystery-part.html?m=1

Turns out they are the same forks near enough.

Part numbers and everything.

Turns out the fork bushes are Teflon coated steel rings with an open slit for pressing in.

Posted via Mobile

Interesting find.
The parts breakdown in this XS650E-F front fork show the same oil seal part number as that blogpost, but no split bushing.

Attachments

• XS650E-F-FrontFork.jpg
    XS650E-F-FrontFork.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 321
yeah right. and that bit 9.28 just above the seals, (actually they sleeve onto the bottom of the damper rod) i had to have a pair of those made up as i only had one in my forks when i tore them down. nothing in the xs manuals looks exactly like that part.
i reckon i have SR forks on me XS then. good to know.

I suppose yamaha reckoned they'd outlast the bike and so wasn't worth mentioning?
:0) they never banked on us lot nearly 40 years later desperately scratching our heads and searching for parts.

SR500+1995+fork-bush.png

...i reckon i have SR forks on me XS then...

That's great that you found that blogpost, nice to know what you've got, unique.
I worked for Honda back then, never saw a bushing setup like that in any aluminum forks.
It's also great that you speak Texican, I reckon...

... I suppose yamaha reckoned they'd outlast the bike and so wasn't worth mentioning?
:0) they never banked on us lot nearly 40 years later desperately scratching our heads and searching for parts.

I hear ya. Same story with the clutch pushrod bushing.
42 years ago, I was there, none of us could've guessed this future resurgence. Our crystal balls were broke. We were up to our elbows in these things, and few seemed to last more than a few years, heavily abused, disposable junk to most. If you were to see all the nearly pristine parts we tossed-out back then, well, it makes you want to find all those old trashdumps and dig 'em up...

makes ya wanna cry........a bit

if ya like, check out the build gallery

its back to front though, last photo should be first. i'll work it out. catch you later

Take the trip to Amsterdam , sorry about the bushings later !!! They are still available from
Yamaha , I buy them all the time for my RZs. last time .i was in Amsterdam , I had 20 minutes between flights , threw down 4 pints of draft Heiniken at thier booth , had a real good buzz on the plane !

I buy them thru Bike bandit here , but they are genuine Yamaha parts , they are even called the same as in your parts diagram. The RZ has 35mm forks. I think you wankers call them RD350 YPVS ! I have been fucking around with Yamahas my whole life , and the RZ is the only one I have seen with these bushings. They fit in a recess at the top of the aluminium slider and there is a thick washer between them and the oil seal. Are your forks 35 mm ?? I can measure one up and give you the sizes. e mail me a pic showing your complete lower fork slider to vmx51@aol.com
Johnny (from Dundee , just happen to live in Florida)

yep, they 35mm

got a washer above the seal, nothing below it except the bush. at least thats how it was when i took them apart
i just put a link to the rebuild gallery. you can see the outer sleeves on there. I's appreciate it if you want to take a look see if they're familiar to you.

cheers.

Im from Greenock, just like it down the west country

On the RZ , there is a thick washer above the bushing , you use it to drive the bushing into the recess. Then you have the seal , then the circlip. Some of the aftermarket seals are designed to be "floaters" and they have a thin washer between them and the circlip to stop them floating into the circlip and getting fucked up. The genuine Yamaha seals have to be driven into the housing , whereas the aftermarket ones you just press in with your fingers
I spent some time in Greenock , my sister lived near Beith , her husband was a civil engineer , his company built dry docks for the ship building yards .

Did you measure the rebound spring? If that's sacked out a bit you'll end up putting in the new slider bushings and it'll not feel much better.
That coating on those bushings will come off with a fingernail so careful not to scratch them.

Hi chizler62. Thanks for the tip. I will be careful.
As for the springs. My forks are like 4" over so no idwa what they are supposed to be.
How would the springs being flat affect the fit at the top of the sleeves?

Back