Front wheel offset.

gazza

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new here and need help. I am building a Triumph T120 yes sorry also have a Yamaha thumper on the go as well. The Triumph has Yamaha front forks wheel and disk brake. I have to have the front wheel rebuilt and didn't measure the offset before cutting the spokes. Could any one let me know the offset for a 1981-82 SZ650 isGary

Hi I am new here and need help. I am building a Triumph T120 yes sorry also have a Yamaha thumper on the go as well. The Triumph has Yamaha front forks wheel and disk brake. I have to have the front wheel rebuilt and didn't measure the offset before cutting the spokes. Could any one let me know the offset for a 1981-82 SZ650 isGary
SZ650???
XS650 front wheels do not have a hub to rim offset. The rim is centered over the hub. The hub was used with both single and dual front disk set ups.

G,Day. I purchased a Triumph T120R from the USA, an ex racing bike. It has a Yamaha front wheel single disk brake. Year unknown but the best I can find out is it's a 1981 or 1982, by the calliper repair kit ( not the best way to find it's year, but the best I can do). COULD ANY ONE HELP ME PLEASE, I am having the front wheel rebuilt new rims and stainless steel spokes. The wheel builder asked me the offset of the wheel, just after I cut all the spokes and removed the hub for polishing. Could some one please measure the offset from the outer face of the disk to the mid point of the wheel rim. Thank you for reading this request, if any one has a better way to age this front wheel please let me know any assistance is very much appreciated. Thank you. Gazza

One of my spares.
1706228774442.png

No sorry still trying to find my way around this site, I'm not real good with computers he'll I'm 75 year old lol
No worries. Anytime you get a response to something you posted, you'll get a notification up here (the arrow and circle around the bell). Click on that and follow the notices.

As Gary said on the other thread, there's no offset. Those hubs are set up so you can use a disc on either side. Just tell the lacer to center the rim on the hub.

1706228685035.png

Last edited:
You don't need to re-lace it if you add the second...

The rim is centered over the spoke flanges on the hub. On the later dual disc hubs, that is the center of the hub as well, but I don't know if it is on a '72 hub (never seen one).

The rim is centered over the spoke flanges on the hub. On the later dual disc hubs, that is the center of the hub as well, but I don't know if it is on a '72 hub (never seen one).
It is.

Year unknown but the best I can find out is it's a 1981 or 1982, by the calliper repair kit ( not the best way to find it's year, but the best I can do).
I would like to see a pic of the caliper. 72 calipers are a whole lot different than a 81-82 caliper. 2 pistons verses 1. Also a pic of the the bike before he took it apart.

Just to say thank you to all who gave me the information on the wheel offset for my Yamaha forks on my Triumph T120. The front forks are yamaha as is the disc calliper. I get the frame back next week from the powder coating guy, so the front forks will be getting fitted and the front wheel once it is rebuilt. Again thank you all for your assistance. Gazzza

Your reply should b in the existing threads.

Still questions to b answered that haven't been. You state an 80/81 caliper rebuild kit, if you have the 77 -83 caliper it will not work on your hub.

Do not answer to this thread. Answer and post in the other threads where people have been trying to help you.

Hi, when I purchased the bike it had the Yamaha front forks, disk brake and brake calliper fitted and working. My mistake was cutting all the spokes before working out the offset. Now I know there is no offset for the rebuild. Again I thank you all for your help. Look out when I start working on the 500 thumper there will be a million questions asked lol. Thanks again all. Gazza

Great you got some info here, By the way welcome to the forum. Skull in his way is trying to be helpful.
It'd be great to see a pic of the caliper/forks cuz we are pretty confused how this is all working. Might make your life simpler to let us eyeball the parts. There's one or two 'round here know a little bout how XS650 things need to be to work well and be safe.

Back