Front Wheel Question. 77 and newer.

PAhunter

Complete Noob
Reaction score
I tried doing a search for the info I needed before posting this question but just ended up confusing myself a bit.

I have a complete front end from a 1980 XS but it came with a mag and I wish to run a wire wheel. Now if I am correct I need a wire wheel from 77 and up to get the right offset for the front disk brake.

Assuming I am correct thus far my next question is are there any years that are better or more asthetically pleasing than others? I know the specials have extra spokes but thats not what I want I think I want to stay with a 36 spoke front.

Any ideas or hints tips suggestions etc would be great and if anyone has a good usable wheel they are willing to sell a PM would be great.

Thanks guys just a little lost on this one. Ian.

Any front disc wheel will work. If it's older than '77, you just swap your newer disc onto it, the mounting bolt pattern is the same.

The 72-73 front disc was held to the hub by a couple tabs. They where held togother by the forks. Kind of a free floating rotor.
In 74 they bolted the disc to the hub. The 74-76 disc rotors were two piece. The 77 and later, spoke or mag were a one piece rotor. The offset changed when they went with the one piece rotor. .2 inch difference.

Yes, that's right, I forgot about those early years. OK, then '74-on would be a bolt-on. TX750 wheels will also swap maybe TX/XS500 ones as well.

I have a TX750 front on mine. It adds some "bling" because it has a nice alloy left side disc hole cover and the speedo drive is polished alloy, not black .....

DiscMountCover.jpg

Back