Gas leak problem!

CaseySmithersxs

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys, never had this problem before. Woke up this morning to ride to work, noticed gas was everywhere on the ground... Left my petcock open all night which doesnt help. I circled the barbs where im leaking gas from... Im guessing that its the over flow, but I just want to make sure. Again ill say I never had this problem, maybe float got stock? Or could it be something else that could have went wrong over night? And im running manual petcocks, no vac lines. Thanks dudes!

Attachments

• BS38typeI  584.jpg
    BS38typeI 584.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 123
It happened because you left the petcock on. The floats are metering devices, not shut offs. If they were they wouldn't put petcock on.
They control the fuel level in the float bowl. The fuel level determines how rich the mixture is. Too high a level=rich, Too low a level=lean.
If you leave the petcock on and your level is too high it will over flow out the over flow ports you circled. Dirty float vales can let fuel seep by the valve. I would check the float height, on your 25 mm =or-1mm. Clean the float valve needle and seat.
I take a Q-tip and pull the cotton off one end. I then wrap that end with a bit of 4 O steel wool. Don't use too much, you want it to fit in the valve seat. A bit of carb cleaner on the steel wool, insert in the valve seat and spin it a few turns with your fingers. Remove and look down in the seat, is it bright and shiny? If not repeat till it is.
Leo

But I usually never turn off my petcocks. Lol. Just decided to leak last night for the first time... Could it be that my float just got stuck? Maybe drain the bowl and see if it continues to leak. Also is there a link to a write up on how to so what you suggested?

Back