Gas leaking from between carbs. Complete newbie here.

Exitaph

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1977 xs650 and finally passed my motorcycle test and all that. But I went to start up the bike but when I turned the gas petcocks to ON gas started to just pour out from somewhere between the carbs. I'm new to this but I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen. There's also some sort of liquid (i assume gas) coming from some clear tubes out the bottom of the carbs. But these tubes go nowhere. They just hang down pass the frame. I have no idea what those are.

But the bike has only been sitting in my garage for a couple weeks. When I bought it the guy started it up and it ran fine, no gas leaking anywhere. So I don't know how this could have happened.

I've been googling for hours about carbs and gas leaking, but can't find anything about gas leaking from between the carbs. And I can't really tell what exactly its leaking from cause everything is so tightly crammed together on this bike that I can't even see in there.:banghead:

Any ideas?

Yes, you'll probably need to pull the tank to get a good look down between the carbs. This is a slightly newer set ('78-'79) but the hose configuration is the same as yours. You'll have one fuel line running from each petcock to each carb, and a short crossover line between the carbs. Check to see they're all still attached and don't have any splits in them .....

Clean78-79s.jpg

Oh! That image actually explains a lot. From what I could see there was a solid stream of gas coming from the exact middle of the carbs, right where that crossover line would be. I just couldn't get a good look at the line. So does fuel go through that line regardless of the engine running or not?

Yes, as long as your petcocks are turned on.

So I removed the gas tank and was able to see the crossover line. But it looked fine. I then put the tank back on and turned on the petcocks. But nothing leaked this time. I'm baffled. I started it too and nothing leaked.

But I did find even two more lines that come out of the carbs and just hang down to nothing. Confusing. Oh well, problem solved. Sorta.

Anyway thanks for all the help guys. I'm really excited to learn all the ins and outs of this bike!

Last edited:
Back