Girards Build!

got my cables in from barnett. so nice. I'm gonna have to send the clutch and throttle back for some modifications but its not the end of the world.

E82D8B86-8346-4E2D-ADB6-A8B09C4B0F80.jpg

wiring

B6430610-2CAC-4BAD-B765-CFF5D00CF6C7.jpg

1A771DDF-2174-4723-BD0F-8F14A626BD15.jpg

all buttoned up

DE86F19F-1930-4E27-BB9C-12EDE2E11DBB.jpg

8A4FF904-BF6B-4F91-8A7A-3819300FF3E2.jpg

pretty happy with how it turned out. definitely a bit of work left, next winter probably.

Got the brake lines hooked up last night, going to try to get them filled tonight, chain on, fill it with oil and grease the swingarm. waiting on exhaust back from ceramic coaters and then will just be waiting for my clutch and throttle cable to come back and i can try to fire it up! So close!!

Well, here we are, damn near done! All I have left to do it mount tank, which is drying, and am waiting for my clutch/throttle cable to come in.

Speedo and stainless cable
EF367D57-6339-4ACF-80E0-5A1EA59404DF.jpg

clutch cable was a tad to short, no slack in the throttle.

0991FEE2-ADA1-4745-B095-954BA8D9370A.jpg

I may have messed up my length when measuring the clutch cable.......

A06B554E-A35A-4933-9A83-3B59FAA515C4.jpg

the sick ya mama exhaust from Pandemonium, which I had ceramic coated.

70EAE27E-3713-4569-898C-6285E388B8E8.jpg

really really really happy with how this turned out

and here we are:

I learned so damn much during this build. Already stoked for the next one. I don't think I will ever not have a running bike while building a bike again though. Found that I started to rush this last month as I wanted to get riding! Ive got a running list of stuff I want to change already next winter and I'm sure it will grow, but damn, I'm hooked. Thanks for looking and will post some pics of when tank is on. Lets hope it starts and runs! I will have to play with jetting a bit I'm sure but thats the way it goes.

Nice job man!!

thanks man. pretty damn happy with how everything turned out. here are some new pics

my kids painted my tank for me haha. fired it up and just used my hand to control throttle as I'm still waiting for my cables. did it ever sound sweet!! can't wait to get those cables. definitely a few little things to nitpick but there she is! Thanks everybody for the help

You can get a block off plug at the hardware store. One side is threaded and the other is square, you'll can find them in the plumbing section.

You can get a block off plug at the hardware store. One side is threaded and the other is square, you'll can find them in the plumbing section.

I can't picture it. where would the threaded part screw into? its just a nipple coming out of carb, i don't even think it threads into carb but i'm not 100% sure. or are you saying that nipple comes out and then the plug can thread in and plug it?

nah, need to cap the nipple that feeds fuel into the carb. only need one of them with new tank.

Hi girard,
I'd put a short length of fuel hose an that fuel inlet and shove a next-size-up bearing ball up it to block it off.

enter carb issues!

ok, so it appears my right carb is leaking fuel into the intake from the small hole on the inside of the intake.

any suggestions?

Hi girard,
fuel can only get that far up if the carb float is sunk or maladjusted or the float needle ain't sealing.
Have you cleaned your carbs lately?

Hi girard,
fuel can only get that far up if the carb float is sunk or maladjusted or the float needle ain't sealing.
Have you cleaned your carbs lately?

i tore them apart last year, replaced a bunch of seals, seats and i think I even did the needles. I think it might have something to do with the new petcock (non vacuum, only on and off) and maybe the pressure of a full tank along with gravity? have been doing some reading and it appears I should start shutting off petcock when not riding anymore since i not longer only have an on/off petcock. i'm gonna put some seafoam in it, to maybe clear up a bit of gunk if there is any? they sat empty all winter so nothing should have built up. see what i can figure out, not scared to take them apart again i'm just not sure thats the issue yet.

- - - I should start shutting off petcock when not riding anymore since i not longer only have an on/off petcock - - -

Hi girard,
too effin' right you should turn the petcock off every time you stop.
The float needle makes a good enough seal to control the fuel level when the bike is running but it ain't perfect and it's highly likely that enough fuel will eventually dribble through to overflow.

ok SO.... I got the bike fired up. rode it around a bit with no headlight. decided to wire in headlight switch. wired it in. pretty basic, hi and low beam. now, bike won't start. I've got over the wiring so many damn times im 99.9% sure its good. measuring my coil i found that it appears to be open between secondary wires. I measured between the plug caps. between the primary was 4.5 ohms but have nothing between caps. Now it has been occasionally started without caps on plugs by mistake. But it was literally running on tues night when I parked it. last night wired in the switch and now doesn't work. coincidence? I'm pretty sure its a pamco ignition. The PO installed it, but it looks like this from mikes Part #14-0901 ugh. suggestions?

Try kicking it over with the headlight off. Mine won't start with the headlight on. The headlight draws too much and the capacitor won't handle it. You should have success. You may need to wire in a three way switch.

Try kicking it over with the headlight off. Mine won't start with the headlight on. The headlight draws too much and the capacitor won't handle it. You should have success. You may need to wire in a three way switch.

i did. i had all fuses pulled except for ignition cct and it still wouldn't go. i feel like the resistance, or lack of, between the secondary points at the coil being toast. anybody confirm?

Back