Got bike back after rebuild ran perfectly before now it doesnt?

Dirty Minnie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I took my bike to a shop to have it re-built everything ran perfectly fine before,but now it'll run for a little bit now and then shut off I took the carbs off and cleaned them, changed spark plugs, fuel filter, and new gas and its still not running properly. Any ideas or suggestions.

Why was it running lean, and how was that situation corrected? What all had to be done? Have you talked to the shop that rebuilt your engine?

I had an oil leak from a cracked oil pan so it would lose oil pretty bad, and there was some days when I had to get to work and it wasn't an option. They said they would look at it, but it'll be in two weeks and this is my main transportation

Tough pullin info out of you so heres my questions
DID THEY REPLACE PISTONS
DID THEY TAKE HEAD OFF
DID THEY REPLACE ELECTRONICS
You are giving a very limited info and for someone to help you got to pull out the paper work or call them and ask the questions I just asked. If they bored the motor bore could be bad.... bike will run until it heats up and shut off. Could be electronics coil could heat up and when it does bike shuts off
Can be GAS bike may be going into vapor lock and bike shuts off.
SEE WHERE I AM AT????
Bike goes into shop and comes out Don't help.
WORK WITH ME
ALSO HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY
RICH

They replaced a piston, yes they did take the head off and no they didn't replace the electronics. They didn't bore out the cylinders just honed them for scratches and I'm still getting good spark from the ignition coil, also the bike when it does run when I throttle down the rpms won't change like its starving for fuel and sorry never really posted something on a forum before I'm use to self diagnosis

your first action should have been to return the bike immediately to the shop and ask them to sort it out ! Also to put something in writing to them

Now you have made alterations to the bike you haven't got a leg to stand on with the shop . They can claim your fiddling made the problem and you have no way to challenge them.

If you want us to help you diagnose the problem from a distance without seeing the bike you need to provide a lot more information than you are. It could be a single fault or a combinations of things or even just a flat battery due to your charging system not working.

Why don't you start by showing us what the shop did ie a copy of the work schedule or the invoice. :wink2:

ok here is a couple easy things you can try
Pull both plugs they should look the same or close... I will bet the cylinder with new piston is white
Second with both plugs out put your thumb over the spark plug hole and see if you feel any compression when the motor spins
If they put in a piston was it a direct replacement with new rings. You don't hone just one cylinder if they did find a new shop. They may have ball honed it to clean up and put cross hatch back in but you never hone one cylinder bigger than the other.
Without tools you are limited in what you can do. There are just so many different things that I would be looking at and without tools your done. Is there someone you know other than that shop that knows bikes or are you close enough to another member that maybe they could help you. To me sounds like the rebuild was not done correct. OK sorry you are not closer but if you need to bounce some info back and forth you can always email me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM
Rich

It's one thing to fix the damage.
It's another thing to fix the cause of that damage.
It's yet another thing to correct the condition that led to the cause...

Back