Head Bolt Shopping List

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
I noticed that my local ACE hardware store has ton of bolts, washers, allen bolts and acorns. . . . wondering if someone can post a shopping list of what size/length bolts, washers and acorns are needed for the top end of the motor?

Maybe after this list (if we get it assembled) there could also be bottom end, clutch, etc. . .

(i understand that mikes, central, etc already sell these but ace is pretty cheap in comparison and sometimes waiting for mail isn't a viable option)

historical.jpg

Gotta be careful of the quality of hardware store fasteners. (Chinese stuff is crap) All hardware is not created equally.

I usually order parts like that from McMaster.com Really cheap fast shipping. When it's something I can't wait for, I get it from my local Fastenal store, it's just as cheap (MUCH cheaper than ACE), better quality and don't have to wait for shipping. I replaced almost every bolt on my 84 VF700S Sabre motor with stainless steel allen head bolts from McMaster and Fastenal.

Personally, I would use a kit made especially for your head. I will not take a chance of using other stuff to save $$$ and not be sure of the results. It can be good for other parts but for the engine head, I will not take that chance.

Just my :twocents:

the xs650 uses a 10mm acorn nut that's always larger at hardware stores, 11mm I think, for the same size bolt. It looks kind of strange, and sometimes there isn't room for it. The same might apply to smaller acorns than that, can't remember for sure.

The good news is that yamaha dealers can order the right acorn nuts for not much more than you'd pay at a hardware store. In my experience.

the xs650 uses a 10mm acorn nut that's always larger at hardware stores, 11mm I think, for the same size bolt. It looks kind of strange, and sometimes there isn't room for it. The same might apply to smaller acorns than that, can't remember for sure.

The good news is that yamaha dealers can order the right acorn nuts for not much more than you'd pay at a hardware store. In my experience.

The local dealer here in Newport News marks everything up about 400x. Ridiculous. . . I went in once to buy a new cam chain and they wanted . . . . (insert drum roll) . . . . $285 for the cheapest. The Clymer manual they had was $95. Yep. . . . So I hear what you are saying for most shops, but the one here is just f'n absurd!

Many of the fasteners used on Jap bikes are the J.I.S. type (Japanese Industrial Standard). They have a smaller head size than a normal metric bolt. As an example, a standard M8 bolt has a 13mm head, the J.I.S. version has a 12mm one.

Thanks.

You might be able to order from a non-local dealer if it comes down to that. They all have websites. Get the part number from a fiche if they don't have it on the site. My dealer will ship to me, but I've most often picked it up since there's no shipping charge then, and it's a good excuse to look at the bikes, and the HD dealership next door.

Back