Header Wrap... Brand/Source/Tips?

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I've never wrapped headers before. Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand name or source of a decent wrap? Should I be considering a wider or thinner wrap? How do I figure out how much I need?

THANKS!
Adam

Get it at J&P or your local auto parts. O'Reilly sells it. Thinner works better for curves. You will get rust underneath it, if that matters.

Your local autoparts store should have it. I'd go with the 1" wide since it's easier to work with. Typically it comes in rolls, most cases 50' long. Like mentioned wrap tends to cause corrosion beneath it since it holds moisture some say. When I used to run wrap on my ATVs what I would do was after a wash I'd start it and let it run for a while to evaporate all the moisture out. I took the wrap off after 2 years of running in really harsh conditions and didnt have any problems. Or if you're concerned paint them with high temp paint and then wrap them.

I havnt wrapped my xs but thinking about it. On my old bike I painted them let dry, then put the wrap on wet so it dried tight.

I'm not too worried about corrosion - This bike is not meant to turn heads because it's shiny.

Thanks for all the replies,
adam

I bought the 50' roll of 2" wide black. I cut it into two 25' sections and wrapped it around my pipes wet. I let it sit in a bucket of water for about 5 minutes then went to town. I wrapped the pipes tightly over lapping around 50% over the previous layer each time. I do have one pipe thats longer than the other but about 3' to 3.5' and i would say it took every bit of 23' of wrap. Its extremely deceiving how much goes on. I wouldnt get the 25' roll unless youre just running snake charmer style pipes. Also dont bother with those bullshit chrome ties they give you .. theyre about worthless. They work but theyre more pain then theyre worth especially when your trying to hold your wrap tight. Lastly invest in a cheapo pair of mechanics gloves and wear them the whole time. The wrap is fiberglass so it will destroy your hands if you dont.. when your done the gloves will glisten in the sun so if you buy cheap gloves you can just pitch them afterwards.

Heres one picture showing the pipes i made.. got my wrap on ebay. I painted the pipes before i wrapped them with high temp black too. Kinda hard to see.. sorry it was a cell phone picture.. ps .. it sort of sucks to do but it looks real nice aftwards

34319_422740207840_531142840_4418522_2812742_n.jpg

Also dont bother with those bullshit chrome ties they give you .. theyre about worthless. They work but theyre more pain then theyre worth especially when your trying to hold your wrap tight.

What do you recommend? Normal hose clamps?

Lastly invest in a cheapo pair of mechanics gloves and wear them the whole time. The wrap is fiberglass so it will destroy your hands if you dont..

Never would have thought of that, thanks!

Back