Mikeys 73

Not that damn old 73 though
Thanks for the info each little bit helps to put things together for me so I can understand it
Hell when I'm done with the 73 I can go back to the 75 and not be afraid of killing it and do more work on it
And to top it all off I sent my wife to Arizona to visit her sister for a week or so
Mikey's batchin it for awhile

Thanks for all your patience on helping me get this far !!!!!!!!
I haven't taken the timing light to it yet but it's close
Gentlemen IT IS ALIVE
https://youtube.com/shorts/MXWYRxjbL
Time to go out into the shop and put some tools where they belong again
Whahoo

Last edited:
as long as I have your attention I took a few pictures of the rear fender which has some oil stains or something on it
Any suggestion on what solvent to use to take that off Carb cleaner won,t do it
And there is rust on the front fender and on other chrome on the bike
Take some aluminum foil to it or something more aggressive

Attachments

• IMG_20220502_150752155.jpg
    IMG_20220502_150752155.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Yay Mikey!! :laugh2:

Dude... that rear tire... Prolly a 73 model....:er:
If you want my opinion, insurance can wait. Spend the money on tires before you go tearin' up the neighborhood.

The tires are shot and the chain has 2 master links in it and it needs to be replaced
I'm not going to hot rod it just go for a very short and calm ride to see if the clutch slips
I seem to recall that from when I bought it last fall

The tires are shot and the chain has 2 master links in it and it needs to be replaced
I'm not going to hot rod it just go for a very short and calm ride to see if the clutch slips
I seem to recall that from when I bought it last fall
I think I put the wrong oil in it when I changed it last fall ( high mileage ?? anyway to slippery)
Can the clutch fibre discs be scrubbed to get the old wrong oil off them or not an issue? and just change the oil
I still have the old set of fibre plates from when I went to an 8 plate conversion on my 75 that could be used if need be I'll check them to make sure they are in specs

I think before I went too crazy on it... I'd change the oil first to one made for wet clutches and see what happens. I tend to think the plates would get washed of the stuff after 50-100 miles of use.
But I have no direct knowledge of that, just a hunch.

I'm pretty sure the '73 has different clutch plates than the '74 and later models, 3.5mm thick instead of 3mm. I think there's two different kinds of friction plates too. One is a steel plate with the friction material bonded to it, the other is aluminum. And I think there's rubber rings between the plates too. Some of these parts are N.L.A. but I guess you can swap all that stuff out for later plates.

I'm pretty sure the '73 has different clutch plates than the '74 and later models, 3.5mm thick instead of 3mm. I think there's two different kinds of friction plates too. One is a steel plate with the friction material bonded to it, the other is aluminum. And I think there's rubber rings between the plates too. Some of these parts are N.L.A. but I guess you can swap all that stuff out for later plates.
Did those 3.5mm plates take one less than the 3mm? I heard of the discussion involving 6 plates vs, 7.
'TT'

Yes, I think so. You need the extra 3mm plate to make up the difference in total stack height.
Looks like time to open up the right side and see what's going on. In there
This is even an area which I've played in a few times
I want to polish up that side too
It's amazing that starter sounds the best of any 650 I've ever had no grinding at all

Back