Hello from Holland, Michigan

Jkouw

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
new to your website. This is my new ride I picked up for $400.00. Its a 1980 XS650G that has 13,000 miles on it and has been in a barn since 1997. I repainted it and changed a few things but I think it looks good.

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 152
Welcome to our group! I don't know how familiar you are with these bikes, or any for that matter, but, I will presume to give you some advice. If this bike sat as long as you said, before you started it, I hope you drained, cleaned well, and checked the gas tanks. They may have rust in them, and that will mess up the carbs pretty quick. Of course, I'm sure you changed ALL the fluids, especially the oil and the brake fluid. That is a must. Check the tires. If they show any signs of cracking from age, what is sometimes called "dry rot", replace them. Keep a good eye on the oil for a while. Change it after a couple of hundred miles to remove any sludge that has worked loose. Clean the oil filter screen, and see what the residue looks like. Put in new oil. One other piece of advice, buy the Haynes and Clymer books for these bikes. They are very useful. And, like I said, welcome to the group. There are lots of great folks here who will share their experience with you and help with your questions.

Here are some more pics of the bike. The color is a one off color that I mixed up at work. These pics don't do it justice. Thank you for your suggestions mikethedruid. I do go over my bikes pretty well before I put them on the road. Any knowledge shared with me is greatly appreciated. I have been checking this site out for a few months and you all seem like great people. Thank you for welcoming me here. I am a Painter and I will try to help out with my knowledge also.

Here more pics of my bike.

Attachments

• xs1.jpg
    xs1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 119
  • xs2.jpg
    xs2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 127
  • xs3.jpg
    xs3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 113
  • xs4.jpg