Help!!! What wire does what? CX500 reg/rec

excess 650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi to all, I'm trying to pick the brains of anyone electrically minded. I've aquired a really rough 650se hard tail chop and have done a complete nut and bolt rebuild of the engine, bearings seals rings etc. Frame, paint and all that will be sorted later (pics to be posted later in week). The bikes set up with a boyer ignition system but the reg/ rec is screwed, i've got a new cx500 r/r in my garage and was wondering if anyone knows how to connect this into the xs charging system?
It's a 6 wire reg rec ( 3 x yellow - to alternator, red/white, green, and black)
On different sites it mentions this can be done, the red/w is now fused live from battery, black is the switched live from ignition switch and the green is now the earth/ground. The problem i have is where do i connect the brush assembly wires to?

Just a great big cheers: to everyone that has posted tips and info in the past, the motor wouldn't be back in one piece without you.

Does this help at all?

Attachments

• xs650allyears.jpg
    xs650allyears.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 276
Hi tech 7, this is the same schematic I used to do the rest of the wiring, so simple compared the Haynes manual, It however doesn't help with my problem, your brown wire from the brushes will connect to the black on the cx reg/rec ( the switched live returning from the ignition to the reg/rec) but i can see no way for the green brush wire to connect to the r r It only has red/w wire (perm live from battery) black (switched live return) and the green which is earth/ground. the other three are the yellows to the 3 white alternator phases.
thanks for the help.

The reg/rec you have is for a P/M type alternator. To get the 650 alternator to act like a P/M you have to hot wire the rotor/brushes. On your SE you should have a green brush wire and a black brush wire. Hook the green to a hot after the key and ground the black. This turns the rotor on all the time. This works but shortens the life of the rotor. Keeping the rotor turned on all the time leads to overheating the rotor.

Cheers mate, great info on that, I'll do that mod untill it packs up then go down the banshee perm mag route that a lot of guys seem to have done.

Back