help with Pamco ignition installation

Mercenary152

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have 1980 xs650. just bought Ultimate pamco high output electronic ignition kit + E-advancer. Part # 14-0913. i live in south jersey . i would like anyone in the area that has the time ,to help me install it .. i will pay for the service ... my number 3474100870 or email oscar.mercedes@me.com

Installing the pamco is easy.
not too many tools needed.
You will need a timing light.
If you got the kit from mikes the bushes that come with it needs to have the outer dimensions checked some have been to large for the cam and if forced into the cam it will split the end of the cam. they need to go in tight but not too tight.
I had 2 the were too large slightly I took a bic pen and some tape around the end of pen just large enough to put the bush on where it will stay there. then I put the pen into a drill then I got some 500 grit emery cloth.turned on the drill then while the bush was spinning used the emery cloth to sand off the outer side of the bush until I could get the bush to fit into the cam with some resistance.
If you decide to try by yourself I will give you a hand via this web site and youtube. Others will probably help too

I also have a 1980 XS650. Does the Ultimate Pamco high output electronic ignition kit + E-advancer, Part # 14-0913, replace the igniter unit under the battery box? I see no mention of this anywhere. Thanks.

I also have a 1980 XS650. Does the Ultimate Pamco high output electronic ignition kit + E-advancer, Part # 14-0913, replace the igniter unit under the battery box? I see no mention of this anywhere. Thanks.

Yes. There is no mention of it because it has nothing to do with the installation of the PAMCO. As a matter of fact, if your TCI is still working, just leave it in place as a backup. Unplug it and crimp some male spade terminals to the three PAMCO wires and just plug it in!

Pete what issues might I have if mount the E advance box next to the coil ? If add longer lead wires from E advance box to the coil will this cause problems? I guess my question which option would be the best?

Pete what issues might I have if mount the E advance box next to the coil ? If add longer lead wires from E advance box to the coil will this cause problems? I guess my question which option would be the best?

The EMF from the coil will screw up the MCU in the E-Advancer. You have to keep the E-Advancer away from the coil. There is no compromise. The length of the wires to and from the E-Advancer have been optimized for best performance. Do not screw with that as well. If you need to locate the E-Advancer beyond the length of the wires, or if you have a problem mounting the E-Advancer away from the coil, then I would suggest that you use the standard PAMCO without the E-Advancer which does not have these limitations.

Pete first thank you, your expertise and quick response!
next to the coil was my preferred location, my second idea would be under my seat just behind the carbs. Little concerned with fuel from carb and moisture being so close to the rear tire.
I usually over analyze the little things, trying to avoid future problems!!

74' brat style with peanut tank, solo seat, pod filters and 7AH battery mounted under the swing arm

Pete, I checked and re checked the wiring of my new Pamco ignition w/ e advancer prior attempting to start it up. I get no spark at all now (according to my inductive timing light. Seems to have gone from bad (week spark) to worse. (no spark). Any Ideas?

Pete, I checked and re checked the wiring of my new Pamco ignition w/ e advancer prior attempting to start it up. I get no spark at all now (according to my inductive timing light. Seems to have gone from bad (week spark) to worse. (no spark). Any Ideas?

I would suggest that the week spark was due to something other than the PAMCO and now, whatever that was, has gotten worse. Could be as simple as a weak battery or a poor connection. When you say you checked the wiring, what exactly did that involve? Did you use a meter to check for voltage on the red and green wires? Is there power going to the coil? Etc? What type of charging system do you have? What is the battery voltage? Did you check the fuse(s)? Kill switch? Ignition switch? If the battery is low and you are powering the inductive timing light from that battery, then it may stop working with a low battery.

I checked that the E Advancer wiring was as specified in the instructions prior to re connecting the battery. Battery reads 12.86v key off and 12.40 with key on. Ignition switch 0 ohms drop, kill switch .5 ohms drop. I just checked the voltage to the coil on the green and red wires.I am getting no voltage to the coil. (?) Not good. Fuses all good.
Thanks, in advance for any help you can provide, Pete.

motomanmort,

OK. If you are not getting voltgae to the coil then the PAMCO won't work. That voltage comes from the kill switch, ignition switch and fuse. When you say that the fuses are good, what does that mean? Did you use the Ohm meter to check for continuity or did you just visually inspect them?

Got it sorted, Pete, thanks
. Not running really good yet but at least running. I'll get the rest sorted tomorrow, hopefully. Seems like a carb issue, but I don't understand why since it ran great last season. Also it's not charging properly again.

motomanmort,

OK. Keep working at it. You'll get it going. The riding season is just beginning, so you have plenty of time.

Got everything working properly again. Charging problem was a couple white wires to the Rectifier vibrated off and rough idle was a pilot screw vibrated out.
I know..." get a re phase
kit".

Back