hi performance clutch springs

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
after having trouble with breaking clutch springs , had the 8 plate clutch and at the time high ratio gears (all new) , found and bought a helco spec high performance set of clutch springs , these are 3 springs and 3 blocks instead of the normal 6 springs , haven't fitted them yet as they are still in the mail from England , before I fit them has anybody used them before , any probs etc ,when put the high ratio in i replaced the springs with new normal h/duty springs and broke 2 very quickly ,after replacing the broken springs and removing the h/ratio gears no probs , was thinking of putting the h/r gears back in while putting these new springs in BUT never seen this 3 springs and 3 blocks set up before , this is for road use only so any info would be great

From what i know from the club, this was a solution for those broken springs..........someone in the club made some a while ago, (no more to be had), and the race bike has been having the same problem.........doing 3 springs and 3 blocs has been discussed but they are going with a stronger set of 6 springs for now. The blockes have to be made or if you are lucky and it seems your are then find some helco ones...........

Seen this???....... http://www.xs650.org.au/Technical Info/clutch.htm How to

yep saw it , thanks skull , actually got the contact details for the new supplier in England (said he got the helco specs off dave raynor , or terry ??) off the club page , he had to get the block material from sth Africa then machine the blocks up so took a bit of time (bit longer as he sent the kit only to have it returned because uk postal ripped the package in their sorting machine, luckily according to him my address was gone but not his return address , so its now on its way again) cost all up was au$70... any reason you know of that the club went for the 6 springs instead

Last edited:
Not off hand, it was in the Club Racer report........Notice board, club racer page, news letter............one of the three...................Cost may have been a factor especially at $70............got a link?

Funny isn't it. ............Halco idea.........remade in Aus and now the specs have gone back to the UK

its smedspeed.co.uk/clutch , thanks just had a quick read on club page , must have missed it first time , wonder where they are getting the heavier springs from?? and what brand

Flea, this is not an answer to your question but may be helpful. We are using cush springs from Heiden tuning in our classic sidecar with stock ratio primary gears.. The clutch gets a very hard time on the starts and they have not broken (yet).

http://www.xs650.biz/p/28/2147/mo74-cgp3|22=2/#39-6515-clutch-hub-cush-spring-repair-kit
I do not know if they are higher spec than the Halco spec springs.

Another idea I started down was to fit solid aluminium blocks to the clutch and fit a cush drive in the rear hub. A few weeks ago I saw a cush drive made by fitting the rear sprocket via urethane bushes to the rear hub.

thanks signal , will give them a try if the helco don't work out ,they sound good if they can handle the punishment of racing a outfit , any link to the rear hub set up

Gotta say Flea:)....................The answer to your question is on the club site again...."tech menu"..... "Hub conversion"

Last edited:
Sorry Flea no link to cush drive, but I will be attempting to make one for our new outfit. I will post details if it works.

lol.. haven't really looked at the clubs tec page in yrs , might have to sit down and do some serious reading , but this might help signal out as well

The easiest option is to source a Yamaha XS500 73-75 spoked wheel rear hub -- they come with the OEM cush drive, much easier than performing a hatchet job on a standard hub.
5twins shared a lot of info with me in a P.M. several years ago on the swap - its quite easy.
If interested PM myself or 5twins for the info.

Replied
Can you let me know how the vesconite bushes from Smedspeed go once installed? I have some Ertacetal C here that I'm considering making some clutch bushings from - thx

Last edited:
Replied
Can you let me know how the vesconite bushes from Smedspeed go once installed? I have some Ertacetal C here that I'm considering making some clutch bushings from - thx
sure no worrys , but might be a while due to me doing house renos at the moment so could be on the back burner for a few weeks , when they arrive do you want me to take some measurements of the blocks?

sure no worrys , but might be a while due to me doing house renos at the moment so could be on the back burner for a few weeks , when they arrive do you want me to take some measurements of the blocks?
Yes that would be great - thx.

The easiest option is to source a Yamaha XS500 73-75 spoked wheel rear hub -- they come with the OEM cush drive, much easier than performing a hatchet job on a standard hub.
5twins shared a lot of info with me in a P.M. several years ago on the swap - its quite easy.
If interested PM myself or 5twins for the info.

hotdog..........any chance you can post this info up...........was it for a spoke wheel or mag

Back