hi ratio gears

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
well finally finished off project motor (only taken 5-6 yrs) and is in bike ,with the high ratio gears found at 3000 rpm doing 100kph (60mph) 4000 rpm- 120kph (with carb tuning should go better) with 17/34 sprockets so I'm taking off the hi ratio gears until the motors run in and I can fine tune the chain sprockets to suit ,now the question is what combination would best suit ,not after massive top end speed that I wont use but a improvement over original gearing where the cam can cut in (deidens,same as megacycle 230-30) go 17/36 or 18/36 or does anybody make a 35 rear ,yep I know theres a chart with all the info on sprocket ratios but not much good at it reading properly (for a on road bike)

17/36 is a good way to have some city fun and get into that cam. Suck on any long highway jaunts. Some Canadian xs standards came with 36 rear.

Hi CDNTX,
yeah and 17/36 works great as sidecar gearing.
But FLEA is asking about sprockets to suit his newly installed hi ratio (which is really a LOW ratio) primary gear set.
I'd suppose that 17/36 sprockets or even 17/38 would work for him and no, I dunno if anyone makes a 35T rear sprocket either.

Cant remember if your 18" spoke rear.

A 33 tooth rear on an 18" rear for breaking in i would think, use the lower gears for around the twists for the cam and plenty to cruise nice on the straights

Ivan recommended 17/36 for road riding coupled with his Primaries. He would also know where to get the odd sized sprockets.

thanks all and hi skull,was going to stay with the 17-34 for running the motor in without the hi-ratio as that's what iv got , but the question is when I put the hi ratio back on,was wondering where the 18-36 would fit on a graph compared to 17-34 and 17-36 & 18-35..ivan recommends 17-36 but his riding style (hes younger,better reactions and racing every weekend) would be a lot different to mine and also different cams, mine cams a more race cam than road so would cut in at higher revs

thanks 2many ,wish could have found your post earlier,makes for some intresting reading which might take some time to digest ,as skull suggested how many times you have to count the teeth for a accurate count

...as skull suggested how many times you have to count the teeth for a accurate count

I think around 7 or 8, or until eyeball pops out...

tumblr_lwjcsrW8ES1qa9htqo1_500.jpg

hey flea im going to try an 18 / 32 set up before the high ratio gear set up im running an 19" rear wheel so hopefully should be enough top end thats if i can ever get the f**cking to run

Hi triumph,
once you get the expletive deleted thing running you'll find that 18/32 sprockets (or 17/30 which is eff nigh the same ratio and allows you to run an o-ring chain without it's fat sideplates chewing at the shifter shaft) is essentially overdrive gearing and she'll go faster in 4th than in 5th.
Mind you, that's with stock horsepower. Wring another 15 BHP out of it and it's a different story.

the 19 in rear sounds intresting especially how it will affect the gearing ,let us know how you get on ,just getting into this gearing thing as always just did a chain and gear swap with nothing to radical ,so its a learning process ,intresting with ivans gears to get back to standard is 17/42 had 17/38 for a while (no h/r) had had to do some short shifts to get moving through the gears on the rd with standard 650 motor (fk all top end) never knew what fred said about 4 and 5 gears

Back