highway (crash) bars.

marinedad

pain is weakness leaving
Reaction score
I had a good response about the sissy bars I was looking for, how about crash bars or highway bars as some people call them. Any leads on where I can get some? 1981 xs 650 special. Also might be in the market for a windshield. Thanks.

These are liable to bend the frame when the bike falls over. Notice I say "when".

They work, nearly every old barn find I pick up has crash bars, most are bent, They are kind of weak and absorb a lot of the shock as they fold back. A recent Xs1100 I redid used the crash bar to save the pipes. The bar was a twisted scraped mess. Frame and pipes were fine. I have several hanging in the rafters, some better than others all were "used" at least a bit. Shipping is kinda high because they are big.

I call 'em "drop bars", since that's when they are likely to help the most! Kinda like a gun, or a spare tire: Rather have one and not need it than to need it and not have it!

There's not really one for an SV 650, and mine's been down twice. Looks like a dead deer laying in the road, it lays over so flat, but the
Road Star sits at an odd and steep angle with the bars and front fender off the ground when you try out the secondary support system!

I had a set on my 80 when I bought it a few years ago...

I assumed they were stock.

They were pretty much the first thing I removed... I threw them away- sorry.. But, you should be able to find a set on ebay or in the classifieds.

my bike came with one pretty bent and scuffed,
the parts bike i just got had one not perfect but nice enough. Just got it on last week, it had a sticker on it that indicated it was a stock part.
it was nice to be able to move my legs around on the group ride on Tuesday though Yellowstone park 390 miles for the bike and me.
desert-test-ride.jpg
Arco Desert test ride

So start watching they are around it may take some time to find one.

I've been down twice. The first time when I first started riding and I lost traction on a turn. I didn't have crash bars and the bike came down on my ankle/foot. I didn't break anything but was on crutches for a couple of weeks.
The second time a farmer turned in front of me and lost his load of hay. My now wife was on the back and we were going about 50-60 mph when we hit the bails of hay. We were a bit shaken, scratched and bruised. The crash bar got scraped, tank got dented, side cover cracked, but other than that fared well and we continued our ride.
Here's a pic after the crash, the farmer talking to the cop in the background.
AccidentBoy.jpg

For a commuter bike, It's a nice option along with a windshield and luggage rack.

I had a good response about the sissy bars I was looking for, how about crash bars or highway bars as some people call them. Any leads on where I can get some? 1981 xs 650 special. Also might be in the market for a windshield. Thanks.

Are you looking for a "nice" set? I have some that came with my bike when I bought but took them off. I still have them but they weren't in the greatest shape if I remember, a little spot rust here and there. Although it's been a few years since I've looked at them but they're yours if you want them.

For someone that just wrecked on a bike you look miiiiiighty happy :wtf:

Yeah well.. that was about a hour after the crash, after the cops and ambulance came, checked us out and wrote up the report.
I'm glad he was hauling hay and not scrap metal. If I had my choice of what to crash into, bails of hay would be it.:thumbsup:

Like jd750ace said
"Any time you can stand up and walk away after dumping it down the road, ya got a reason to smile"

Back