Honda XR 500 Rear Wheel

Scotchmist

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been offered an early '80s Honda XR500 rear wheel for my XS650 project and I'm interested to hear whether anyone has experience of fitting one to an XS650 swingarm.
I've got access to welding equipment to add a brake arm bracket to the swingarm and a lathe for fabricating spacers. What other considerations are there? Does anyone know whether this is a viable swap or whether it'll be more hassle than it's worth?
I'd happily find myself a nice pair of standard XS650 spoked wheel but they seem to be practically none existent.

Hi scotchmist. I had exactly the same problem finding XS650 spoked wheels. I found that the XV535 Yamaha fronts are the the same as the XS650. So, I bought two of them and used Omars kit to change it to a disc rear.

Hi Paul,

That's really useful information. Is it a straight fit with no modifications? I'll keep an eye out. Unfortunately the only ones I've seen so far were fairly steeply priced.

I guess the rear wouldn't fit as it's shaft drive. Does anyone have any information about the potential viability of an XR500 rear wheel or any other alternatives?

I am not sure of the interchangeability, but maybe check out xs360/xs400 or tx500 wheels. I have seen quite a bit of them on ebay.

Yamaha used the same front wheel on many models so that should be easy. Some are the SR500, XS/TX500 twin, and the TX750 twin. These would be direct swaps. The only direct swap rear I know of is the TX750 twin but being produced for 2 years only may make that one hard to come by. The TX500 rear can be adapted quite easily just needing some spacer juggling and fabbing. Axle and sprocket mount match the 650 so that solves 2 big problems right off the bat.

Thanks Norman1950 and 5twins. Really useful information.
Just to confirm, as someone from Britain, is the TX500 the same as the XS500s over here? I think with a hashed combination of TX500/SR500/XS650/XV535 wheels I may yet be able to replace my mags.

Yes, the TX500 and the XS500 were the same but the XS was the newer model and may have mags. At least that's how it was in the States here.

The TX/XS500 rear isn't a straight swap, it takes some adapting. The only straight swaps I know of are the TX750 twin and other XS650 wheels. If you can't find one, you can always get an 18" rim, the appropriate spokes (longer), and respoke it to yours, the hubs are the same.

Back