How can I rid my inbox of....

Jerm

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
the plethora of whining and bickering that has been going on in the classified threads?
Is there a list I can enter user names into that keeps me from having to read all of the whining responses ? Thanks in advance.

There are two ways to stop that. in your personal control panel you have an ignore list you can add anyone's "handle" to that list you will no longer see their posts. Or you can go to the offending thread and "unsubscribe from this thread" in the thread tools drop down menu.

Gary hit that one on the head. I think people tend to forget about the ignore list. Another way to add someone to your ignore list is to go to their profile (click their name) and select 'user list' (under their profile picture) and click 'add to ignore list'.

When you ignore someone, it replaces all their post with a message saying: This message is hidden because [user] is on your ignore list. It gives you the option to view the message anyway or remove them from your ignore list! A great tool really!

If the bickering is against the rules for the classifieds or is otherwise out of control, report the post(s) using this button
report.gif
(its in the lower left corner of each post)

Don't let the bickering get you down! We have tools to deal with it. :cheers:

Just a thought.. When you click someone's name in a post, a list comes up... I could add the 'Add to Ignore List' option to that list to make it quick and easy to do.. What do you guys think about that?

:devil:Can I ignore that? :wink2: Yeah seems like a reasonable idea but then again this hasn't been a big issue on the board, actually this board is remarkably good at self regulating.

Actually, you can't ignore mods and admins!!! :devil:

It has been good.. Lots of great people on here. It just might be nice way to make people aware of the feature to make the site that much more enjoyable for them to read. I'm going to give it try and see how people like it.

If you put someone on the ignore list does it mean they are ignored in every thread? Fingered they would be, the ignore r would have to hope they annoying have nothing useful to contribute at all:)

Yes (AFAIK) It's a rather drastic measure. I have not been SO annoyed by anyone to ever do it. Teebs has come close once or twice but I usually just chime in and tweak his nose instead. No surprise if a few of us are going stir crazy this time of year. Most of our shops are so damned cold we can't even work on our bikes, and the heating bills are burning up the bling fund.

Yeah it seems drastic, but it really isn't. You can add someone in two seconds, let them calm down for a day or two, and the next time you come across a post that is hidden because you've ignored the member, you have the option right there to remove them from your ignore list. You could ignore someone for 1 minute, or forever.

But, I can see your point. If you want to ignore them, just don't read their posts, you don't actually have to physically hide their posts. Also if something they posted is totally inappropriate or against the site rules (or classified rules), report the post.

In theory, we really shouldn't have to have an ignore feature at all, but if you want to use it just because someone is getting on your nerves, the tool is there so you can ignore them for a couple of days or whatever you want.

Obviously, I will never ignore anyone.

Quit subscribing to posts so they don't end up in your email. Then read what you want when you get on the board. It would drive me crazy getting emails every time there's a new post.

John

Back