how do you lift front wheel off ground ? to change a tire?

lowliferat

certified hack
Reaction score
i am trying to put dual discs on my sled and i was wondering how you guys do it? i don't have a center stand and i see most here dont have one either. i'm looking for ideas. thanks

Get another person and a piece of 4X4 or 8X8 and get the bike up on it. That's what I do. Make sure you have extra 1X or something incase you need to shim it to get some more height.

Put the bike on the center stand, then lift up on the front wheel while kicking a concrete block under the engine. I let the drain plug rest on the block. If the block is too small, put a scrap of lumber on it :)

A bike lift is best. Before you get it in the air loosen all the various front end bolts, it's a lot easier when the front tire is firmly on the floor.......

I also use a floor jack for the front wheel and the center stand when changing the much heavier rear wheel so I can adjust the swing arm height to allow me to just roll the axle into position with the tire on the floor instead of having to lift the rear wheel.

If you do not have a floor jack, Harbor Freight has them on sale for $25.99...:thumbsup:

^On ol' Trigger a piece of 2x4 under the rear wheel lifts it to exactly to the right height. Before I discovered that, it was always a dirty, nasty job, not unlike Weekendrider with his arm up a cow's ass.

3 peices of 2x10 about 24" long and nailed together.
Drill a 1" hole on the edge of them for a bar.
Lay them under the bike and use the bar/pipe to turn them up on edge raising the bike.
You can find an example in the home made tools thread

hi guys ,,,i just use my car trolley jack ,,, its not a huge i,,, i think i paid 40 bucks for it at supercheap ,,, but on the swivel part you locate to jack up the car or what ever .. i put a piece of rag just toooo stop it slipping ... ,,,don,t forget to loosen off the axle before you jack it up regards oldbiker

strap the rear down, jack the front up with a car jack. sometimes ill strap the front down too, and as im jacking the front up ill loosen the front straps. just for saftey.

I just take the tank off, pull the motor, then flip it upside down. Like a bicycle.
I do the same thing when I lube the chain.

But really I use the center stand and a jack stand under the front motor mount. I think the homemade lift is a cheap effective way to get it off the ground without the center stand.

Back