how doI get this off???

lukach4

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
can't seem get get them to budge... Any ideas??

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 154
A good spanner wrench always helps, but you can use a punch and only try to remove the top one first. They'll come off, just gotta use some persuasion via hammer

If worst comes to worst you can cut them off. Hacksaw or I might use the cut off wheel on my rotozip. Probably I would cut thru the nut most of the way and leave just a little so as not get into the threads. Then stick a cold chisel in the cut and snap it .

I grind a punch to fit the slot better so I don't bang up the nut as much. You might try to tighten the lower nut a bit to help separate them.
+3 on PB Blaster though I hear 50/50 ATF and acetone is as good as anything.
If you use a plastic bottle to hold the mix, HDPE is quite chemical resistant and is a good choice for HB squirt bottles. Acetone will melt some plastics.

There is ALWAYS one bearing that will roll to hell, or somewhere, where it will stay, until You buy and install new ones. Then, You will find the missing bearing.:shrug:

agreed. I only found 46 of my bearings, so I bought the kit. my bearings are in good shape, so maybe save for next xs?

they dont have rust, but i think I'm going to get new ones anyway.. side to side movement was really stiff... thanks for the help everyone. on a side note... just saw an allstate commercial with the football players running into the street... a car bashes into three motorcycles and I could swear 2 of them were xs650's..... ouch......

assuming these insurance companies paid for these props(cars, mc's, trucks) that they destroy in the commercials, wouldnt that up the consumer's rates? wouldn't they have to insure the props incase someone got killed by accident during the shooting?
sorry, a little vent there?

Your local industrial supply has them for around $12 for a box of 100. Tighten just enough to take up the slack or you'll cause damage, maybe 5 ft lbs or less. Use thick grease.

Back