How many bikes does one need?

fredintoon

Fred Hill, S'toon.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Kevski posted:-
5 other bikes to fettle? I only keep 2 at a time as I only have one ass.
Odd, a Brit that don't know how to spell arse?
But back to how many.
Of one model of bike, as many as you need to keep it, or perhaps one of them, running.
But different types of bike, how many of them, eh?
A tiddler to run local errands.
A dual purpose for backroads and trail rides.
An XS650 because if you didn't have one you wouldn't be here.
Something new, big, reliable and with luggage so you can swan off on long tours and not worry about being stranded by breakdowns far from home.
An antique bike for Sunday rides, shows and parades.
Well, that's five plus the spares and we haven't even discussed mopeds, scooters, racebikes or sidecar rigs yet.
Perhaps what we mostly need is a bigger shed?

I'm down to just three including the current project.

The chopper works great to fill the antique and Sunday drive spot. The Buell makes a adequate twisties and around town commuter as well as it handles and gets 65+mpg.

I guess the current project just gets me on the site? Lol.

Attachments

• 1433283760.jpg
    1433283760.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 216
Absolute minimum is three.

One that you will never sell. One that you love to work on. One to ride when you really want to go somewhere far away on a bike. Some folks get all three needs covered with one bike.

For me, in order, its the SR, the XS's, and finally the Magna.:bike:

roy

I have the enduro, 1972 xl250,
antique, 1971 xs1b
Long hauler-2003 Suzuki marauder
The bike I will never sell, a 1980 xs650, my first total custom
Two project bikes, cloneing a 1980 xs to look like a 71, and a sled xs650 with a Honda 600f motor.
Yes, a bigger shed is next hopefully by winter.

I sold the bike I thought my kids would have to deal with, and I'm down to three. I'd like to make it two just for the space and cost of tires, etc. But three is a good minimum. I have the Venture for long far and fast. The FJ1200 for fast, but not too far, and sometimes bike nights. The 650 is for around town and bike nights and when I want it to be 1972 again, and just the pleasure of the sound and ride. As long as it's short. I've been trying to sell two more and buy a new bike to replace the two. I was looking at a "5 dot" MCN rated bike. A bike they spoke/ wrote of as perfect, except for the windshield. But standing next to it I discovered I didn't like it, too complex, too tall, too much plastic, too busy looking. I'd rather ride some steel, something I can fix, something that looks like a motorcycle. So three for me, right now.
Whynot2

Hi nailbomb,
a Buell Blast, eh? I did a test ride on one for nostalgia's sake. Far lighter and more nimble than my BSA B33 but that infuriating rev limiter really pissed me off.
And 2many, no.
What I need is mebbe 5 bikes.
What I want is to have ongoing rider access to the British Motorcycle Museum.
The same deal at the Deeley Museum is perhaps what I'd settle for.

I think my practical limit is when my wife's horse trailer has to be parked outside the shed to make room.

Just got the roadstar gone (thank god)
The Connie 14 is just too much in so many ways. But day-am........... It needs a bit more windshield than it has.
We will see if the wife will really go along enough to make the K1200LT worth keeping. It is such a pig. low speed with the paralever front scares me, tipped it once in slush the first day. I'm just getting used to it. Above 5MPH it's fine. heated bits make riding til snow hits reasonable.
I think about 5 maybe 6 XS's completed and running should be close to enough.
Currently at 3 roadworthy but I think the 73 is going to go, I have a different 73 that will replace it....

The WI antique plate means no annual fees, insurance is about $50 per bike per year. still working on the maintenance and polishing drills.

I think my practical limit is when my wife's horse trailer has to be parked outside the shed to make room. - - -

Hi Gary,
a horse trailer can surely live outside?
And any time it wasn't transporting dobbin you could store bikes in it?

Well the politics is; she works (with insurance) and I kind of mess around with motorcycles. Gotta keep the horsey toys happy.

There was one memorable trip to Michigan with a horse and a KZ1300 sharing the trailer!

Current count is about 15 motorcycles with room in the shed for the trailer, AND the FarmAll H, mowers AND skid steer with it's toys, some serious power tools and who knows how many thousands of MC parts and and and.... Good thing I have racking set up.

Well the politics is; she works (with insurance) and I kind of mess around with motorcycles. Gotta keep the horsey toys happy. - - -

Hi Gary,
same shared space deal here except all I have to share is a 2-car attached garage.
All summer my wife will park on the driveway to leave the garage free for my projects.
All winter the same so long as I get up at 6 a.m. to go out and start the car to let it warm up and scrape the windows so she can see to drive to work.
Or I can leave parking space in the garage.

Hi nailbomb,
a Buell Blast, eh? I did a test ride on one for nostalgia's sake. Far lighter and more nimble than my BSA B33 but that infuriating rev limiter really pissed me off.

Originally the goal was to flip it, but I've got more into it than its worth, so fuck selling it. I'll ride it till the wheels fall off. I haven't done the valve train work to let it rev higher, but with the restrictions removed from the intake, the jardine exhaust, a ignition upgrade, and some toying with the jets, it'll more than keep up with my friends stock 1200 sportster. The thumper has grown on me. Someday maybe I'll pull its heart out of that nimble frame and get it into a roomier frame, LOL. I've seen some interesting bobbers and trackers made using them.

This winter its due for a 515 kit and a raise in compression.

Back