How to Hardtail

jaredhodge

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my XS on sunday but when I bought it I had complete intentions in hardtailing it. It is an 81 xs650 special.

Anyways I was wondering if I could get some help. What all does it take to hardtail as in parts I will have to purchase. I know I will have to get the hardtail and a longer chain. What else is needed? and what is the best company to go with?

Man, this is a pretty general question you're asking.

Most hardtails come with instructions.

You will need at the minimum:

A good work surface, like a nice welding table or bench
Welder
Cut off wheel
String (I like to use a seamstress tape measure)
Fabrication skills
Beer
And get ready to spend a lot of time with a angel grinder

The bike will likely need to be rewired
Longer chain
A place to put electronics
Fender mounts
Battery mount (if you run one)
Bobber seat
Taillight and tag mount
Brake switch mount
And depending on your build the list could go ona and on...

As far as who's the best. It just depends on what you want. I have done 4 David Bird hardtails, but he's currently on my shit list because he won't return emails..... The Ardcore looks rather simple to install. The TC bros has been around for a long time. I have no experience with G&L.

Elswick tail looks good but mine fit horridly. Next tail section for me is an Ardcore.

My roller with an Elswick tail..

529951_404848849539415_187507867940182_1430738_1708440688_n.jpg

do your homework on what company to go with. seems the only reliable people out there are the tcbros, but they look like shit so it doesnt really matter.

you will need to find someone that can weld. not your buddy that just got a welder from his grandpa and wants to try it out on something.

to add to the list already stated
pegs
brake linkage
chain tensioner

and something that i usually say when people ask this on the forums.

whatever you time frame, double it
cant weld? have a buddy that can? almost triple it
can weld? broke? triple it
whatever you think you will spend in time during the ordeal do the same with cash.
ive made 3 or 4 'last orders' from mikesxs. all things that i didnt know i needed, things that came up, things that i thought could wait, etc. etc.

off the bat you will need to replace all wiring components. coil, regulator/rectifier, key switch, battery. you will pry need new seals almost everywhere. new tires, and brakes.

in all honesty unless you have the fabrication tools and skills!(or a giant wallet), a massive fucking order from mikesxs, a bunch of tubing, plate, sheet, rod, heim joints, springs, carb cleaner, (your building a chopper so) air filters, new mains, new pilots, new tank or some sealer, and taps is maybe all youll need to get started on building your bike.

have fun

when did ardcore start selling a hardtail? i thought they shy-ed away from it for liability reasons. how long did it take to get it?

Thanks for all the help. I am going to start the tear down this week. Theres a welding shop a few miles from me and thats where I am going to take the frame. I figure they have good jigs and the best welders.

That's going to be my choice (Ardtail)...

-They are in Indy, I'm in Indy (no shipping)
-Seems like a cleaner, easier install than others
-Time savings not having to clean up the backbone
-It's the stretch and drop I want
-I like the way it looks

I had a guy tell me I shouldn't use it because of the lack of the lower motor mount on the backbone. I think it will be fine, but I think it would be very easy to add a lower motor mount.

good2bsims,i agree that the rear lower engine mount should be used.I've had mine just loosen up once and it took me awhile to find out why the bike was vibrating so much more than usual.Also had a friend that told me that he had owned a lot of XS 650's but his current one vibrated worse than any of the others.I looked at the lower rear mount and the bolt was missing.I wish a few people on this forum would try an experiment.Remove the lower motor mount bolt and ride it a few miles,then report your findings on here.

If you're in Indy and Ardtail is in Indy I'd highly recommend you pay them to fit the hardtail to your frame, if they offer the service. This is something you need to do properly in a frame jig.

I skipped past the whole hard tail thing and bought a custom rigid frame from Voodoo Vintage. My insurance company informed me that if I bite it riding a modified frame my family and I are on our own. Insurance companies are in business to find reasons to not pay out, and guaranteed if you die riding your bike they'll have every expert they need on hand to tell them the frame was modified etc. etc. and they're not liable. On the other hand, a full properly titled custom frame, no problem.

Go talk to Jon and Carl @ Ardcore. I'm in Indy and they did mine. Great guys and high quality work. I personally couldn't be happier.

3a9e2ea5.jpg

Spades the pictures I saw of your bike is one of the reasons I decided to go with that tail. What did they charge you to weld it on... did you leave the motor in, or just take the frame?

Spades the pictures I saw of your bike is one of the reasons I decided to go with that tail. What did they charge you to weld it on... did you leave the motor in, or just take the frame?

Thanks man!! I'm not sure what charges for labor. We had a deal worked out already. Mine was the first one done....before they were released to the public. I took him a bare frame. I highly recommend them.

Back