How to Jet for custom exhaust?

James1988

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just made these sky high pipes and not sure how to go about jetting now. If you got some knowledge drop it on me.

Attachments

• bj2.jpg
    bj2.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 240
  • bj3.jpg
    bj3.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 225
  • bj6.jpg
    bj6.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 252
  • bj5.jpg
    bj5.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 264
  • bj1.jpg
    bj1.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 276
Diggin the pipes and the bike!

There isnt a magic formula or anything for jetting. You will probably have to go up a size or two depending on how free they flow...

I would prob start by going up a size on the pilot and the main. This kind of depends on if your carbs are stock and whether you are running 34s or 38s... Ride it for a bit and check the plugs. You will get good at plug reading and removing the carbs real quick...

Hi James and welcome.
OK, if it's baffled part way along, start with stock jets and do road tests and plug chops to see what's happening.
If it's just a three times the normal pipe length open drain, Gawd, I dunno. Same thing again?
And about your right-side gas tank artwork; what are those two people doing?

Thanks guys I'll start there and see what i can come up with.
Fredintoon, They're enjoying each others company on both sides...

im more thrilled the flag in the garage is hung in war manner.
Not many people know that the way a flag is hung tells a lot about the state of our union, but that's politics, cant have that here,
two up on pilots, one up on mains. after a set length, it really doesn't matter. I think the shortest length you can go is 36"'s. Sir, I believe you have accomplished that.

Shit man! Kick that bitch over and see how it acts with the stock jets first. Gotta have a baseline. Does it idle? Does it accept small throttle openings? Does it accelerate with no load properly? If you get that far, does it break up at a particular RPM? If it'll fire up and run under load, take it for a ride and see if it has any lean surge at steady state small throttle openings, see if it will pull from about 2000 on up smooth. If it stops pulling, note where. If it breaks up or flutters, note where. Once all that is done, read the carb guide! I wouldn't jack with ANYTHING til you see what it will do in stock form (if that is where your carbs are) but you MUST have a baseline to work from in order to jet this thing for those smokestacks.

- - - They're enjoying each others company on both sides...

Hi James,
Oh my, on taking a closer look, so they are. Damn my failing eyesight anyway.
How about some close-ups of your tank art, perhaps posted to the Babes on XS650s string?

Back