How to remove a stubborn main jet BS38's question?

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
I can't remove themain jets on these BS38's. They seem frozen and I want to be careful not to brake the slots off. I tried a little heat didn't seem to help. What's the deal?

JG I think I may be preaching to the choir here but; A properly ground screw driver bit to fit both the width and thickness of the slot and the judicious use of an impact hammer, light taps BOTH in and out, alternating have gotten the worst gunked up jets out of crap filled carb bodies for me. top caps and diaphragms off, the carb body on a REALLY solid surface (like a concrete floor) make a huge difference on how well the impact wrench works. Anytime a jet is fighting me getting the carb body where I can really lean on the screw driver so there is no chance of it camming out really cuts the risk of burring the slot.
Sad story: A stuck idle jet,, the threads were frozen in BAD lost the slot, reslotted cutting down the tube on the body to get at it no joy, I drilled and easy-outed the jet STILL no joy, finally the jet expanded from the easy out and split the carb body. Some days life just sucks.

Try spraying carb cleaner from the top of the needle jet and letting it sit. If gas was allowed to dry in the carb the threads above the jet and the top of the jet will have a nice coat of varnish. You could plug the jet with a tooth pick (easy now) to make sure the cleaner pools in, around and above it.

Good tips all the way around, guys; but a trip to the machine shop can be cheap insurance when the going gets ugly!

Well we gother done. All good suggestions. I knew the drill, but was wondering if there was lock tite or some other evil gremlin at work.
Thanks
GJ

I used a drill bit and allen key of the same measurement. Drilled into the jet, tapped the allen key into the slightly small hole with a hammer. Came out like buttah. If it slips you either didnt get the allen key far enough in to get a grip or it needs more penetrating oil. I think the hammer taps help loosen it up somewhat as well.

Back