How to route clutch and throttle cable with lower bars

If your fuse set-up is original, you would have only one fuse for the whole system. If it blew, the whole bike would be totally dead.

I think it's time to start tracing wires and checking connections. Your handlebar change may have pulled something loose. I didn't even think of it before but if your electric starter is still working then the ground to that right switch housing is good. Something else is causing the "no headlight" problem.

If your fuse set-up is original, you would have only one fuse for the whole system. If it blew, the whole bike would be totally dead.

I think it's time to start tracing wires and checking connections. Your handlebar change may have pulled something loose. I didn't even think of it before but if your electric starter is still working then the ground to that right switch housing is good. Something else is causing the "no headlight" problem.

How frustrating. The days are getting shorter and I cant ride at night. I also noticed the back lights dont come on although the blinkers work. Does that point to another problem? also I dont think there is only one fuse. Even my 72 Honda has different fuses.

The fuse box with multiple fuses didn't come along until the '78 Special model. All the Standard models like yours had only one fuse. That's not to say someone hasn't modded yours and added more fuses. Time to find a wiring diagram for your model and start studying up.

The tail light is controlled directly from the key switch. Turn the key on, the tail light should come on too.

The fuse box with multiple fuses didn't come along until the '78 Special model. All the Standard models like yours had only one fuse. That's not to say someone hasn't modded yours and added more fuses. Time to find a wiring diagram for your model and start studying up.

The tail light is controlled directly from the key switch. Turn the key on, the tail light should come on too.

At this point, when the key is in the on position, the tail light does not come on, though it did over the weekend. Something probably shook loose. These bikes vibrate like hell.

Your headlight problem has nothing to do with handlebar grounds. Weekendrider pointed out that the HI/Lo switch is missing. You say you can still operate it somehow?? The power for the headlight goes through the Hi/Lo switch, so sounds to me like you have no connection or very poor connection at that switch.

That shouldn't matter for the tail light. Like I said, it is controlled directly by the key. I've been looking for a way to "fix" that on my '78 but haven't found one yet. If I disconnect the tail light from the key switch and run it to the lights on-off switch, I will lose the parking light feature.

That shouldn't matter for the tail light. Like I said, it is controlled directly by the key. I've been looking for a way to "fix" that on my '78 but haven't found one yet. If I disconnect the tail light from the key switch and run it to the lights on-off switch, I will lose the parking light feature.

I agree, its something else as it seems to affect the taillights too, but not the brake light or signal light. its not the switch.

Last edited:
On the '77 in the shop. With the key in the start position the tail, gauge, cluster and headlight are turned on and off with the switch.
The keys park position overrides switch for the tail and gauge lights in the off position turning them on. Key on park light, switch on gets headlight, gauge and tail lights.
I don't know the why or the how or the electric components involved. But that is the way it works.

Last edited:
My mistake, I was looking at the Canadian '77 wiring diagram, lol. It wires the tail light into the key like the later models. A U.S. model '77 won't operate the tail light with the key, except in the "Park" position. Normal running operates it through the on-off switch on the right switch assembly.

My mistake, I was looking at the Canadian '77 wiring diagram, lol. It wires the tail light into the key like the later models. A U.S. model '77 won't operate the tail light with the key, except in the "Park" position. Normal running operates it through the on-off switch on the right switch assembly.
Im such a dummy. Probably didnt turn the key all the way to the right then and only had it in the start position. Will check when I get home.

What's the story with the Hi/Lo switch.........................is it there and wired or is it not there? If its not there, do you have the wires somehow jumpered together?

What's the story with the Hi/Lo switch.........................is it there and wired or is it not there? If its not there, do you have the wires somehow jumpered together?

Ive only had the bike 4 days. Ive ordered a new left hand switch as I planned, because the hi lo part button is missing. However, you can move it up and down so its operational. Thats how I know the headlight wont work. Its doesnt come in when i move the hi lo button at all.

Ive only had the bike 4 days. Ive ordered a new left hand switch as I planned, because the hi lo part button is missing. However, you can move it up and down so its operational. Thats how I know the headlight wont work. Its doesnt come in when i move the hi lo button at all.

It could be as simple as a burned out headlight. You could run a jumper wire directly from the battery +. Unplug the headlight, ground the black wire and touch the battery + wire to the yellow and to the green wires to test the Hi and Lo. Just because you can move the Hi/Lo switch does not mean its working.....................a new switch should settle that matter.

It could be as simple as a burned out headlight. You could run a jumper wire directly from the battery +. Unplug the headlight, ground the black wire and touch the battery + wire to the yellow and to the green wires to test the Hi and Lo. Just because you can move the Hi/Lo switch does not mean its working.....................a new switch should settle that matter.

Thanks. Other than Mikexs is there a place that sells new headlamps? I want a yellow one!

Because the parking lights dont come on as well, only brake and signal, Im inclined to believe its not a busted headlight

No kidding. And I feel like the clutch lever is actually easier to pull because I eliminated a lot of bends.
What kind of bars are you running uhlaf? Looks like yours is a special.
Also is that mikesxs café seat I see you have?

Seat came with the bike when I bought it, actually it was one of the main reasons I purchased it, it's not a terrible seat to be completely honest. I picked up no-name clubman bars from a local store and threw them on one afternoon, and yes she is a special; one of these days I'll get around to either buying at 18" rear wheel or buying taller suspension so the back isn't so saggy.

Back