Hydraulic Clutch Conversion Woes and a Call for Help...

Dumbmonkey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,
I've got it in my head that I want to do a hydraulic clutch conversion on my XS as per the instructions on Hugh's Handbuilt. I purchased a pit bike clutch kit off of ebay and the conversion kit from Hugh. Sadly, it seems that the pit bike kit is one of those that Hugh warned about with the smaller banjo bolt at the master cylinder and it seems that all the other pit bike kits are the same type. Does anyone have any suggestions as to another source for the correct pit bike kit, or does anyone have a correct kit that I might be able to acquire? Any guidance or advice would be duly appreciated!
Thanks to all in advance!
Chris

When I was searching for mine on ebay I never saw one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I suppose you could modify your bars to be stepped 7/8“ to 1" with the 7/8" area being hidden by the grip and lever if you couldn't fine them.

You can buy a clutch master Cyl from a Honda Yamaha kawaski Suzuki 1" bar from any of these off a cruiser bike VT 1100 Honda . Those bikes have hydraulic clutch. I have used them for 1" bars both sides brake and clutch. Here is one on EBAY $60.00

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 166
+1 ^. I am using a clutch master cylinder for a Kawi ZG1000. Granted I am using a different kind of slave cylinder but the theory is still the same.

For anyone keeping track at home, I'm thinking that the conversion process is going to be a bust. All the pit bike kits I've found have 8mm banjo bolts at the master cylinder and most other master cylinders I've found start around $100. At an investment of close to $250 plust time to retrofit everything, I'm thinking that staying with a cable is the best option.
Too bad, it sure seemed like a good idea at the time...

Have a look at some of the other hyd clutch setups. There are different was to go about converting to a hyd clutch. Look at Osteoderms build thread or my clutch conversion thread for an alternative method.

Well I just put a caliper one the bolt and sure enough it's 8mm. The only thing stopping these 8mm levers from working though is the threaded opening right? I don't see why it can't just be tapped and opened up a bit.

Last edited:
I don't see why it wouldn't although I don't have Hugh's cable yet so I can't really say for sure. I'll bounce the idea off him to see what he says. I'm sure we'd aren't the first to have this problem.

One other thing. I just looked at his page for the cable and it sounds like it is meant to find a 10 mm or 3/8",can anyone confirm it comes with both replacement banjo bolts? If so I would probably tap to 3/8" since that is a 1/2mm roughly smaller than 10mm.

The conversion kit doesn't come with either banjo bolt, I believe that you need to use the existing one, or if you're tapping it out, you'll need to purchase one in either 10mm or 3/8" (which I think are essentially the same, but don't quote me on that).

I never used one but going to have to buy one just to see how it works. You can buy banjo ends in a lot of sizes and make up your own cable. I do it on Harley / Jap conversions for brakes. Easy place to see is Dennis Kirk. I maybe wrong but from what I am reading the ones on EBAY are smaller than 8mm or 10mm and that's the problem? There is one on there for $40.00. looks like they are small ends.

I'ts not the banjo at the bottom that is different in size to Hugh's, it's the top one by the MC. If I can remember, it is an 8mm bolt, and Hugh's mod is a 10mm banjo. The bottom one fits the piston.

Oh ok that's a easy fix then. There are universal banjo bolt kits and I have used them before and just cut off the one on there and replace with new. Is the bottom 8mm too or smaller. I found this place in JAPAN that sells them (just the Slave) for $19.00 so I am going to order one and play with it. Dennis Kirk - Jerich - J&P sell universal hoses and ends. I just bought one for a Harley with 15" bars in Black looked good. I want to try one of these for suicide clutch.
Thanks for the info

Back