i bought a hf soda blaster

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
SO I told my wife that I wanted a soda blaster for my birthday this week, and since she wont go get it on her own, we baught it.
Got it home, put it together, put in two#s of walmart baking soda, and it wont come out unless I constanly shake the piss outta the tank.
The soda was a little clumpy, but seemed dry enuf.
I had a extra set of fins/cyliders, and from what little I was able to do, Seems like it would work awesome, if it would work continuously.
I have 2 mechanical dryers on my air system, so should be good there, should the BS not be clumpy? once again, it seemed dry, but the hole in the pick-up tube in the tank seem small, but in order to get the BS(bakingsoda) in the tank, they had to be broken up.
I have the media setting on the valve block all the way open, and Am @90psi.
Any one else have this? directions are garbage.:shrug:

Should have bought a 50 lb bag of blasting soda while at HF. Its made for that, and its ways cheaper.

It should not be clumpy.

John

It takes very little moisture to make baking soda clump.
Run it through a flour sifter (screen) putting it in?

We have a HF blast cabinet and we need to put the media in the oven for an hour if we want to get any work done.

You'll realize with these that you literally have to stop blasting and reconfigure everything once every 10-15 minutes. A real pain in the ass, but cheaper than having it done.

I use agricultural baking soda from the feed store. About $12 to $15 for a 50 lb. bag. Seems to work OK. I have a small plastic blast cabinet I got years ago from JC Whitney. Never used it until recently because it was just too small for anything. Turns out it's perfect for doing carbs. That's all I use the soda for. I have one of those bench top HF cabinets for bigger stuff with glass beads. It's pretty big for a bench top so I put it on a frame with wheels .....

CabinetFront.jpg

If you have dry air, you won't need to redo it every few minutes. Also, there needs to be an additional air tube attached to the feed/pickup tube-makes a huge difference. Check out TPtools.com for some good tips, and pictures of how this extra air tube works. One can also buy one of their guns to use in place of the HF gun.

I use my cabinet a lot for my work (making specialty woodturning tools) and used to have problems, but no more. Dry air and a better pick-up. I can use any kind of media, too.

John

update:
went to HF and got the 50# bag of sodium bycarbonate, per instructions. imagine that, instructions from HF that are right!!lol.
works great! I refilled it, and went to town on hooligan's 38's, what a mess though. blast cabinet would be nice. safety glasses and a particle mask are a must. on occasion, the pikup tube would clog, but I justpicked it up, and shook it. the knob to regulate the amount of medium coming out dosnt do much. seems to not make a difference other than off/on, so I opened it all the way.
here is a finished rite, and a unfinished left.
Photo060117511-vi.jpg

Photo060118071-vi.jpg

I got one as well the hf soda helps it workd fine in the winter but I'm getting to much water in my lines now for it to work right.

Agreed, who doesn't like trying new tools?

Guys and are power tools,:D You should have seen me on Christmas when I opened the boxes and they all had the same label of "Craftsmen"...It was like I died and had gone to heaven. No sweaters or socks, just the good stuff ....tools :thumbsup:

Back