I think it's POSESSED!!!

:banghead: Well guess I'm gonna have to bite the big one and take it to a shop, ahhhggg!!! Got it all back together did everything (ATU-ATR-timing- put the VM's back on and removed the air screw- changed the gas cap vent for a new one) She runs better, still popping and pegged at 4000rpm the whole time...I'm sticking with H-D's these things make Shovelheads and Ironheads look like Swiss watches...:mad:

They are not that bad
Just listen to the ones here who know
There are differant charts out there as said before to follow
1 thing I know for sure is with those air cleaners you need to have the proper jetting
that may be why the other set of carbs didnt work

I am convinced it has absolutely nothing to do with the carbs... I really think that it is something to do with the timing. She runs well, but refuses to go below 4000rpm, and I tried 3 different sets of carbs today. I am rebuilding another set of VM's right now but I don't have the gaskets for the bowls, they should be here this coming week, and these are being put together at baseline. Everything I have read or researched show the 'R' mark on the base for the points on the right side( towards the rear tire) mine will not go there it sets at about 1 o'clock so I'm thinking that might be something.

If you're talking about the "R" stamped on the points backing plate, it should be up near the top, maybe in the 11 or 11:30 position (slightly towards the front tire).

Huh!? that could be something right there... the one in mine is at least 1 o'clock. and she was really difficult in getting it dialed in to there... it was at about 2, from the P.O., wouldn't surprise me if it's 180 out. Back to the drawing board, on Monday anyway, I'm riding my H.D. tomorrow need to clear my head of this thing for a day. lol Attached is a picture of a Clymer service manual that I got from the P.O., the 'R' is where he had it I got it to go back to just about where the Philips head screw is...

Attachments

• Facebook stuff 001.jpg
    Facebook stuff 001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 73
:D Well, I took the points and advance unit back out, cleaned and lube everything, put the VM's back on, and reassembled everything to the book. Got the timing set (at least better than the P.O.) and she now idles at about 1500rpm!!! I cant get it to go lower than that but at least thats a starting point, worlds better than 4500rpm. Just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to everybody that helped me with their ideas and knowledge of these motors... Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Back