if I may ask... how did you guys....

1/8 is plenty if you do it as inxs laid out in his diagram C, 5/16 is serious overkill. Go with 3/16 if you think it needs to be heavier. You want the gussets welded as far to the outside of the tubes as you can without causing tank clearance problems.

Brother, I'm not going to give every dude I come across a hard time about using that tank. It's cookie cutter. It's also YOUR scoot. If you look at my comments, I don't usually go off on a guy's personal build. It's the "professional" builders who use these tanks, unmodified, along with other bolt-on and prefabricated crap that I get tired of. I can think of a few on this site. I've been trying to ignore them. We'll see how long I can hold out...

On the neck gussets. I had to cut them out for rerake. then ground them down in more of a C shape.

I don't think Teebs gave me shit about my tank b/c I at least modified it to have a fuel gauge.. :laugh:

thanks guys.
Teebs, didnt mean to give you a hard time about not giving me a hard time. cool?
I wont do this for a while, as I stilll have to figure out the foot deal. Ive got some small floorboard that say markland on them. sound familiar? shop I bought them from said they came of a silverwing. Dont think they are stock honda. There is a black bike on 650 chopper.com that I think is tits. Its has full size floarboard. Ithink are a bit to big for a little bike. . I think about that bike at work sometimes. i have to go look at it again........mmmmmm

Last edited:
I think he usedharley board, which I think look a little big for the smallish 650. The boards I have could 've been passenger boards , because they are a bit smaller, in length and width.

about that gusseting picture that inxs posted... how much does that really matter? I see dune buggy and rock crawler frames gusseted right in the middle of the tubes all the time. I've never seen a picture of a crushed tube from the gusset being on the center line.

Do you really think they're needed at all? It's not a dirtbike. Plenty of bikes have no gussets there at all with no problems. I removed mine. I think with the middle link triangulating it, there should be no problems. Guess I'll find out.:shrug:

Attachments

• bikes 010.jpg
    bikes 010.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 85
Tech, there are a ton of XSs out there running with no neck gussets. It will cause more flex. But I haven't heard about anyone dying because of it. I like a good looking gusset. But I wouldn't be too worried about running without it. I also wouldn't be too worried about running without an upper motor mount because I know guys who don't and it isn't a problem. I still stick with the top motor mount.

As far as how the gussets are mounted, it's just the "right" way. Chances are, you aren't going to have any issues doing it any other way. The one in C. is the optimal way, that's all. But placing them so they fall between B. and C. looks the best, in my opinion.

Yeah I suppose... I would guess that almost any style of gusseting has to be better than nothing at all.

Tech, there are a ton of XSs out there running with no neck gussets. It will cause more flex. But I haven't heard about anyone dying because of it. I like a good looking gusset. But I wouldn't be too worried about running without it. I also wouldn't be too worried about running without an upper motor mount because I know guys who don't and it isn't a problem. I still stick with the top motor mount.

As far as how the gussets are mounted, it's just the "right" way. Chances are, you aren't going to have any issues doing it any other way. The one in C. is the optimal way, that's all. But placing them so they fall between B. and C. looks the best, in my opinion.
i will gusset some where between b,c. and as far as the top motor mount, since i have it, why not use it. it is a tad ugly though. might either make a new one, or break the edges of all top mount peices with a grinder.
thanks, guys. I know in the picture it looks like it might be too late to change the way the tank mounts, but that is just rattlecan on the frame. the tank is final, so, cant weld any new mounts on it. thanks again.:thumbsup:

Back