Ignition Options

geeskeet

XS650 Member
Reaction score
good afternoon fellas,

I’ve recently let the smoke out of my PAMCO upon assembling my basket case and rather than trying to repair it I’m considering buying a new electronic ignition.

My issue is that most of the ignitions available are either out of stock, or cost $300+ for what should be a $100 part. Not a huge issue price wise, if I have to spend that money I will but I figured I’d ask here first for any decent options. Mikes has one with dual pickups that says it’s for points specifically, but I don’t think my motor originally came with points. Also the PAMCO I have now only has one pickup so I’m not sure if that would even work.

Any advice is appreciated!

good afternoon fellas,

I’ve recently let the smoke out of my PAMCO upon assembling my basket case and rather than trying to repair it I’m considering buying a new electronic ignition.

My issue is that most of the ignitions available are either out of stock, or cost $300+ for what should be a $100 part. Not a huge issue price wise, if I have to spend that money I will but I figured I’d ask here first for any decent options. Mikes has one with dual pickups that says it’s for points specifically, but I don’t think my motor originally came with points. Also the PAMCO I have now only has one pickup so I’m not sure if that would even work.

Any advice is appreciated!

After my Pamco with E advance failed, I went with the tried and true Boyer ignition.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/boyer-bransden-ignition-installation-on-my-xs2.60740/

+1 for Boyer
I think I’m going to bite the bullet and buy the kit. I noticed all the kits online mention a brass cam bushing for 81+, I’m not 100% sure on the year for this motor. Are these bushing easy to see to tell if I need to pick those up or not?

If you have a pamco on it currently, you should have the brass bushings already installed.

While the Boyer looks like a bag of bits picked up from the local Ace hardware, they do seem to work well.

There are somethings you can do to improve them. Search the forum for set up details.

I believe their biggest fault is the plastic/fiberglass mounting board can bend and cause problems. Solutions to this problem babe been posted here.

You have the Advance rod and mechanical advance. The engine has either, 1), been converted to points. 2), is a points engine. 3) a mikesXS/PamcoPete Pamco ignition installed in a TCI engine, meaning the advance rod bushings are already in the cam.

Back