Maybe I'm not giving the best advice here ?

I always use my ignition switch to kill the engine then I disconnect the bike from the battery by using the small red wire loop on the fuse box.
It isolates the ignition switch and all of the live feeds in the fuse box.

The starter solenoid is always constantly live of course, so you cannot isolate that unless you remove one of the battery terminals.

If you remove the kill switch and leave the ignition switch on ,....the coils would be live and so would all the brown wires from the fuse box so that could cause damage but the only way that would happen is if you didn't notice the huge red ignition warning light, or the warning light bulb was fubar.

If the wiring loom has been modified then probably none of that applies depending on how it has been wired up

Nice tutorial. How about removing the lock cylinder? Ive probed and pulled seat lock and gas cap cylinders but the main switch beat me.

A kill switch is mighty handy if and when you need both hands on the handle bars and simultaneously need to shut the bike down.

3rd pic in the 2nd post shows the bottom of the lock cylinder in the housing. There is a sliding lock plate that holds it in there, barely visible spanning from about 10 to 12 o'clock. Push/slide that into the lock cylinder flush and the cylinder will push out the top.

Pleased to see that this is documented Peanut. I like the way the switch is constructed asymmetrically. When I forgot how it came apart, because I dropped it halfway through the disassembly, I found there was only one way for it to go back together. Cleaning the contacts with steel wool gave we the desired result, same voltage on the brown wire as at the battery.

View attachment 86776

Undo the two lock screws and dismantle the steering lock mechanism
View attachment 86777

Thoroughly clean all parts. Apply plenty of white grease and reassemble

View attachment 86778

Reassemble the switch shaft and contact plate Apply grease to all moving parts aoiding the electrical contacts

View attachment 86779

Ensure that all the electrical contacts are clean before replacing the contact disk

Hello,

I have taken my assembly apart, but for some reason when put back together, the key won't rotate all the way.
Would you be able to tell me if I have the plate in the correct place?

Cheers

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 117
I posted this thread, (and another with pics), into your ongoing thread so you could look at the pics to help you reassemble your ignition switch.........Now your asking the same questions in here ..........:shrug::umm:

Back