im lost!! lookimg for a part but apparently it doesnt exist

BartBuddy28

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I habe an 81 xs650H, i need the little black rectangular/round thing on my stator housing thats mounted at 12o clock...TCI. ignition but i cannot find this part anywhere in the world, ive checked every single motorcycle parr website i could find, but i dont know the actual nomenclature of this device and i need it to allow spark to my motor, i find it hard to believe no one knows its name or where to get one.....i will pirchase however necssary i just need it!!!!

Damn..i was hoping to not have to buy another stator for 200 dollars, i have already bought two of these!!!! Can i get that part from yamaha? Whats that part called? And on my stator, that part is not semi permantely attached, mines actually held in by two small phillips head screws....

I don't get this guy:shrug::shrug:

Yesterday, he asked for help.I told him the damaged device was a TCI pick-up coil. I even posted a picture for him to see. I suggested he use the classified adds to find one.

To-day he says he doesn't know what the device is :doh::doh:

Listen, obviously i shouldnt have come here for help, i can see that i am upsetting people with my posts and my problems with my first ever motorcycle. Great apologies to those i have caused issues with, neveragain will i ask for assitance from those with larger problems to handle.

BartBuddy28;

I see that you have posted in the classified section, as I suggested. I also see that you have already got a reply back. Guys have been removing stock alternators for years now, so they can replace them with PMA's. Those 80 to 83 alternators are a source for the TCI pick-up coil that you need.

Listen, obviously i shouldnt have come here for help, i can see that i am upsetting people with my posts and my problems with my first ever motorcycle. Great apologies to those i have caused issues with, neveragain will i ask for assitance from those with larger problems to handle.

Instead of getting huffy at some one who has been helping you, you should try to help those that help by doing some basic research.

Entering "TCI Pickup" into the Google search, (top left), this thread was on the first page.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24161

You need to learn about the TCI system and the brushes/stator/rotor testing so the problem can be identified instead of guessing. need to identify the cause of the problem.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10561

Not getting huffy, i have folkowed everyones seems to not be reading my post tbat stated EVERYTHING IS NEW, but still not working, and i have chexked every link that has been posted, but nothing has shown what im looking for, if anyone is getting huffy, its the membwrs on here, sending me messages telling me im not doing what im supposed and in actualkty i am and getting nowhere fast...but again clearly my probis jusr a hassle to people so again im on my own...the oarts im looking for have been referred to by 12 different names and none that i have looked up have been what im looking for, again thanx for the helpbut obviously im just a burden to people i did state that my prob was compmicated and now everybodys pissed at me...thanx again

XS650 pick up coil.
There's one for sale on eBay for a hundred plus....nos.
Try to have a little patience and tact.......some of us are old and not into this instant communication/gratification that the younger ones seem to be living with these daze.

I do have patience and im trying to be as tactful as i can, and i understand the age, but im not neccesarily a spring chicken either, and im not looking to get instant gratification....like i said im new to this motorxycle business, and i am able to handle mechanical problems i just have issues with elctrical,testing and the lot.....ivw stated before that im very confused when it comes to this stuff,and its even more confusing to me when i just wanted one name for a specific part ,and i get 12 differnt names which i looked under every single one and have had a very difficult locating said parts...i will apologize again for any offense taken from me, wasnt my intention, again, im lost and new so i just wanted instructions and advice put in terms for an idiot to understand!!! Sorry ladies and gents again for aggravating you guys

I do have patience and im trying to be as tactful as i can, and i understand the age, but im not neccesarily a spring chicken either, and im not looking to get instant gratification....like i said im new to this motorxycle business, and i am able to handle mechanical problems i just have issues with elctrical,testing and the lot.....ivw stated before that im very confused when it comes to this stuff,and its even more confusing to me when i just wanted one name for a specific part ,and i get 12 differnt names which i looked under every single one and have had a very difficult locating said parts...i will apologize again for any offense taken from me, wasnt my intention, again, im lost and new so i just wanted instructions and advice put in terms for an idiot to understand!!! Sorry ladies and gents again for aggravating you guys
as stated befor the part youare saking about.(I habe an 81 xs650H, i need the little black rectangular/round thing on my stator housing thats mounted at 12o clock...TCI. ignition but i cannot find this part anywhere in the world,) is a pick up http://www.biker.net/ has a parts brake down and names for them this will help you find what you are looking for go there and look up your bike and look around I sure you will finf what you need

Last edited:
Here is the part pictured. Also the line item with part number and name.

Attachments

• pick up.jpg
    pick up.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 161
A bit about the links i posted.

First link; Has everything in it to test the TCI pickup and very good pics that show how to connect it to a meter to test, there is all the relevant information on the Factory Ignition system posted for any one to learn from.

Second link;
A very detailed tutorial with multiple pics showing how to test and trouble shoot the charging system with a multimeter. There are multiple pages with relevant questions that are answered that relate to the electrical system and its components.

You will not get any thing better to learn about these parts

I suggest you actually read some of the links thoroughly and then any questions that you may ask will have some relevance when answered, then you can go back and use those links to help to understand what people are saying.

Use Spell Check...............I am a lousy speller and often spend the same amount of time using spell check to correct myself so others can understand what i am saying.

Wait, what is the part called again? Where is it located? If only someone could post a link where I could learn these things!!!!

Haha sorry that's mean. Pay no attention to me man, I understand how frustrating electrical issues can be.

:laugh::laugh:You should see what kind of crazy ignition questions we get on the xs400 forum:doh::doh::doh: One guy has a 15 page long thread on his starter:wtf: Then starts 3 others:banghead:

Ok well just to let yoy guys know, i am using a phone with a virtual keyboard, my fingers dont get along with these damn things because they're swollen from all the cars i work on everyday, im a mechanic, but could never figure out electrical..its my only weak point...secondly, i have since got my bike up and running, replaced every light bulb on this bike with an LED bulb to save wattage usage. I am now havimg an issue woth the bike seemingly holding back its power right around 55 mph. I did read a post from another member about my stock fuse panel being a possible problem..bike seems to be charging ok, i believe the last time i checked the bike running with headlight fuse removed, i got around 13.3 volts....everything seems to be working fine aside from the bike not really having power after 55mph..anyway i thanked before and i will again, thanks to all those who habe helped me thus far, and i apologize for anyome who is offended

:(sorry to hear that your a MECHANIC:( ( I have been a GM tech for over 30 years )
and I hate them phones also but if you a tech/mechanic today you better get up to speed on the elc. every thing now has some sort of elc control even down to the tires.
just slow down and research your problem befor asking questens and give us time to awswers we all have things to do and get done but we will get you the awnsers.

Back