Inlet manifold covers

nairb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, Those inlet manifold covers on the xs2 (see pic). Mine were rusty so I have cleaned them up a bit and now will have them plated to stop them rotting further.
Does anybody know what the original finish was. Were they chrome? or some nickel plate.

Ta
Nairb

Attachments

• xs2 inlets.jpg
    xs2 inlets.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 59
"It was a brown/black plating". Explains why it does not show up on many images of the xs2 on the internet.
Then I had a bright idea. Why not put the part number into gooogle and see whats there. So put 256-13564-00 in the search box and heres a pic of the result..... Brown/Black!
I think mine will be done in Nipearl chrome finish. Looks like brushed stainless steel.

Attachments

• 256-13564-00 .jpg
    256-13564-00 .jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 54
I bought some N.O.S. ones off eBay for my '78. They had a gray chalky finish, almost like galvanized. They turned brown just like the old ones they replaced after I installed them and the heat hit 'em.

There's two kinds of rust. Hammerscale and...um...rust. The former is good; it's actually protective. You see it on old tools a lot. That's probably what's on the brackets. I don't think the brackets were "rotting". Unless you just want them plated, at this point just hit them with barbecue paint and I'd say they'll be fine.

Back