Inside view

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Here are the insides of the controls on my handlebars. I decided to forgo the starter button for now. I have a battery on order. I will use a screwdriver to press the starter. Once I get her running, I will decide how far I want to go.

Attachments

• 100_0825.jpg
    100_0825.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_0828.jpg
    100_0828.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 100_0824.jpg
    100_0824.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_0830.jpg
    100_0830.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I think you may need replacements. Some can be cleaned up and renovated, some are too far gone. Yours look to be in that second category. The left side may make a comeback but I wouldn't hold my breath on the right side.

I want to get the bike started before I put $$$ into parts. Once I get the battery, I can jury rig a starter button. I am reaching out to the local used bike dealers for parts.

You will probably just find more rusted parts like your's in Florida, the classifieds here are your friend and deals are around on flea bay too.
Cables and lots of things are better new. Seeing those controls, how do the carbs look inside?

If the engine kicks over and has reasonable compression it will run. See the tech section it's new to me post for excellent advice on firing up a bike that hasn't run for a while.

I might suggest as others have in other threads to start at one end of the bike, working toward the other, checking every electical connection for clean and tight. This will take time but it will help prevent many problems from happening before they are problems. On the fuse holders, swap them for inline blade type fuses. The old glass fuses are crap.
A small dab of dielectric grease on those connections will help keep them clean.
Even at that I would use the kick start at first. The electric starter can draw the battery voltage down enough so the ignition won't work.
Leo

Back