Is it just my computer?

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
I keep seeing a strange
before each quote and then the normal quote highlight on threads. But some are just the non-highlighted. And the "Topic" choices are gone from the "New Thread" post. Is it just me or did something change or can I now have an excuse to use my laptop as a frizzbie?

Look at the posts on this thread and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170&page=38&highlight=xs's

See the " quote" on top of each post?

Quotes are working just fine.. the reason those quotes are messed up is that one person messed up the quote code (two begin quote tags and only one end quote tag), and now everyone keeps quoting posts with messed quotes in them so their post gets messed up too. Its easy to fix if you just look at the code of your post before you post it. You can also look at it when you are editing your post.

As far as the topics not showing up in the new thread page, that could be due to your mobile browser not supporting JavaScript. Those are just shortcuts anyway, you can still type in the topic or leave it blank and assign topics later.

Quotes are working just fine.. the reason those quotes are messed up is that one person messed up the quote code (two begin quote tags and only one end quote tag), and now everyone keeps quoting posts with messed quotes in them so their post gets messed up too. Its easy to fix if you just look at the code of your post before you post it. You can also look at it when you are editing your post.

As far as the topics not showing up in the new thread page, that could be due to your mobile browser not supporting JavaScript. Those are just shortcuts anyway, you can still type in the topic or leave it blank and assign topics later.

Yep, that's it.

Here's an example of what the problem was:
[noparse]
quoted text
[/noparse]

See how there are two beginning quote tags and only one closing tag?

So when people quote a post with messed up code like that, their post gets messed up too unless they fix it first. For example, if you had the above in the advanced editor and pressed preview, would would have seen that it looks funny. Then all you would have to do it remove the extra beginning quote tag and you're done.

So make it look like this:
[noparse]
quoted text
[/noparse]

xjwmx, real funny you are!!

I knew a guy who wrote his own his own site software (comp. sci. prof.) and if posters did things like not close tags and it would do crazy stuff like kill all the edit buttons and reverse the text and write some of it up the side of the screen and so on. I guess this software is catching those things though. He was too theoretical and not practical.

xjwmx, This software will ignore the code if it doesn't have proper open and close tags and just treat them like plain text. The problem is when someone quotes that plain text it will add a new open and close tag and then there is still the extra beginning tag. So the problem continues until someone stops it.

littlebill31, sure you can, just show her the messed up posts in that other thread and tell her you need a new computer. Just don't show her this thread!

Back