Is there a beater thread?

Nearly All my XS were beaters when they got here. Some were when they left too.
I don't have show bikes but have run the full range from pigs ear to silk purse.
this one was dug out of a field. Literally had to dig the tires out of the dirt.
View attachment 248650
My judgement; it was too far gone, motor stuck, parts only.
I would tend to agree unless it is a titled unbent frame. Everything attached to it is expendable and therefore replaceable. In my area, the price for anything more iminently savable has escalated beyond reason.

Personally, I like to see old, worn, used looking bikes. Have ridden some old bikes that have a lovely 'loose' feeling to them. Only thing, when I see an old bike parked, I've got to look at the chain and if that's dry, rusty and knackered I go right off the bike. I guess what I like is old and well used not old and neglected?

Last edited:
My beater when I got her and when she was roadworthy again. Still a work in progress. IMG_1340.jpegIMG_2161.jpeg. I get a lot of crap about the paint which I will probably work on this winter and I have a couple other items to work on.

My beater when I got her and when she was roadworthy again. Still a work in progress. View attachment 248678View attachment 248679. I get a lot of crap about the paint which I will probably work on this winter and I have a couple other items to work on.
Heres mine and I'm leaving the paint as is
It's that street survivor look you can ride it and not worry about the paint

Attachments

• 20230120_112721.jpg
    20230120_112721.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230120_112732.jpg
    20230120_112732.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230120_112812.jpg
    20230120_112812.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 39
Yammy 1.jpg
Here are the requested pics. I had the seat re-done many years ago from a guy from either South or North Dakota. I believe he placed an ad in the Sturgis website. He was great to deal with so if you need someone, and you can find him, he's real good. He also did a similar seat for my son's Kawi Zephyr 750.

Attachments

• Yammy 2.jpg
    Yammy 2.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 32
View attachment 248689 Here are the requested pics. I had the seat re-done many years ago from a guy from either South or North Dakota. I believe he placed an ad in the Sturgis website. He was great to deal with so if you need someone, and you can find him, he's real good. He also did a similar seat for my son's Kawi Zephyr 750.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, I really appreciate it.
I'm planning on cutting & profiling my own foam & I have an auto upholsterer here that does an amazing job.

Here's my entry in the "beater thread"! It's amazing how good a slightly out of focus picture can make a bike look!

Have not road it hardly at all in the last couple years. If someone wanted it I would be tempted to sell. Engine is not original. I do have the original that had a problem with jumping out of gear that I believe was a bent/loose screw in the star shaped part of the selector. When I got it it had been used by some farmers kids to ride on farm roads then parked in a shed out back for a couple years till I happened along one day around 2000! I think I still have the original bazillion spoke rims but they were a bit rough so I swapped these in.

1982 xs650.JPG

MAJOR UPDATE!

I just got off the phone with my friend who gave me the bike. Remember I said his wife put sand in the gas tank? After all these years of thinking that's what she did, he told me tonight that she put the sand in the OIL FILL for the engine! Imagine what sand could do in there!

But like I mentioned earlier, he saw what she had done before he started it up. So he used lots and lots of kerosene to flush the sand through the drain plug. He obviously did a great job because it still runs really great.

So I guess you could say, no harm no foul. Both their marriage and the bike are still going strong!

Back