Is there supposed to be this much movement?

Oh, man, yeah, that's way too much slop.
Almost worse than an old, wore-out unit.

That's one of Mike's repops. Different critter.

I have one, and compared it to a fairly good shape OEM advancer. Found some subtle dimensional differences 'tween the two. My Mike's center disc has slots that are a few thou narrower than the OEM. The Mike's flyweight ears are much narrower than my OEM's ears. I was considering using the Mike's center disc with OEM flyweights, getting a close fit.

The way Mike's sells those things is goofy. The advance unit comes without the center disc. You have to buy the advance shaft to get the disc. AND, it's been torqued on there by who knows. If dimensional quality control is poor, who knows what combination, and clearances, you'll get.

Edit: When I examined my new disc, I found some burrs and rough machining in the slots. They'd have to be cleaned up before I'd use it...

littlebill31.............................Yes that amount of slop is terrible! Its just another Chinese/Taiwan part that is poorly made.
The orignial OEM advancer parts were precision made, just as the Japanese always make parts. They worked great when they were relatively new, say 20 or 30 years. Once the originals wear enough over time, then they too become problematic. I finally realized
it was just a waste of time trying to make the mechanical ATU work. I installed the Pamco E-advancer and my engine runs perfect. Its so nice to have a consistent advance curve.

Yeah that's for sure littlebill. Any chance they will take it back? I have shared your frustration with quite a few parts from that pathetic company. They have gone through a number of owners, but they still sell lots of crap parts. Present owner is Revival Parts Company.
I avoid Mikesxs (XSdirect) like its a plaque!

Back