just finished bike..no electric start????help!!!

brackxs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i just got my bike finished and everything works except the electric start..its been bored and re-sleeved out to 750cc and shaved to raise the compression..the problem is i can barely kick start the dam thing!! i don't know if there's a secret that i don't know about to kick these things but i can only do every couple times...i have black drag bars and other than the motor being built and a set of after market pipes its stock...any help would be greatly appreciated!! one last off subject question how do i figure out my compression ratio???:thumbsup:

When you changed the handlebars, you probably lost the ground that is required for the starter push button. The PB gets its ground from the metal handlebar. If your handlebars are painted, then no ground.

You still have to get the handlebar itself grounded. Depending on the year of your bike; some years a ground wire was fastened to the handlebar mounting bolts, and some years a ground wire was run from the headlight bucket common ground wire into the left turn signal switch (that grounded the bars).

That was my first thought..but I did a little wire job to the solonoid or however u spell it..lol and all it does is clicks..I'm sure I need to get the bars grounded but do I need to replace the solonoid also?? It just clicks pretty fast....anybody know how to figure out compression ratio??and I noticed my tach isn't working either..any thoughts?? I looked on mikesxs and the solonoid he has doesnt look like mine..

Does the starter motor operate normally? You can just use a screw driver (or a booster cable) to short across the large starter relay terminals. If the starter motor cranks the engine, and the relay just clicks, then yes you need a new relay. If the starter motor does not crank the engine with your shorting test then you need to remove the starter motor for testing.

A bad connection (oxidized and a nasty green colour) on the large cable going to the starter motor will also prevent the starter motor from working.

Don't forget that a weak battery will also act like a failed starter and/or relay.

Compression calculation......................you know about Google? Don't be so lazy asking simple questions like that...............type into google and you will get tons of info!

:thumbsdown:Yeah thanks guys.....not... Figured I would ask sumbody experienced with these bikes but I guess they were to LAZY to explain it...will look into the relay and starter a little more..oh and the reason i asked about compression here was I thought I could could get a strait forward answer and not a million search results..thanks for the little help I got...:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Do you know the volume of your combustion chamber with the pistons at TDC? You need to know this to determine the compression ratio.
Devide the cc's of your engine by the cc's of your head.
Leo

:thumbsdown:Yeah thanks guys.....not... Figured I would ask sumbody experienced with these bikes but I guess they were to LAZY to explain it...will look into the relay and starter a little more..oh and the reason i asked about compression here was I thought I could could get a strait forward answer and not a million search results..thanks for the little help I got...:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

LOL i bet you ride a brat style don't ya!

Back