Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Reading the wiki on HAWK AA rocket complex. Interesting evolution from dynamotors and vacuum tubes to a pretty nice machine. Not to endorse shooting at airplanes, or men... For sporting purposes however, the complexes would form the basis for a fine contest, fellas could bet a case of whisky...someplace out near Vegas, rich companies could offer prizes on TV... They might shoot at balloons. Thus use up the antique junk. Outta save a few for the museum though.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-23_Hawk I want a ticket to the show...
1687036718617.png

The Germans did in fact have the first TV guided standoff air launched weapons , these were terrifying against ships to the point where their existence was not reported in the press for some time after the allies knew about them
TV-guided glide bombs sunk a few ships in the Bay of Biscay, 1944. I haven't got a source to cite, as I read that about 40 years ago.
The successes were half luck, as the TV system was flaky as hell, as you can imagine.

I read the same. Many people say that the Germans were defeated. Well, the Red Army ripped them apart. Were the nazis defeated? Well, I used to work with two guys who had worked for von Braun...one fella briefed him on turbopumps, no kidding. It's more geography and civilizations. Allnighter under a windtunnel, sliding 'round in hydraulic leaks, footsteps overhead, who's there? It is I! Werner! and the pair worked together in the oil until test time. Real story. I have zero politics. Never advocate. Well, maybe Jesus' and the Sermon on the Mount...and I do love pretty machinery and skilled trades, art, if you will.

Reading the wiki on HAWK AA rocket complex. Interesting evolution from dynamotors and vacuum tubes to a pretty nice machine. Not to endorse shooting at airplanes, or men... For sporting purposes however, the complexes would form the basis for a fine contest, fellas could bet a case of whisky...someplace out near Vegas, rich companies could offer prizes on TV... They might shoot at balloons. Thus use up the antique junk. Outta save a few for the museum though.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-23_Hawk I want a ticket to the show... View attachment 245412
I went to school on that system when it was all tubes. Soon as I was assigned to a firing battery at MCAS Yuma, many components were converted to digital and we got another round of schooling. I was in a classroom learning electronics at least part of a week for 2 years. Good deal.

I went to school on that system when it was all tubes. Soon as I was assigned to a firing battery at MCAS Yuma, many components were converted to digital and we got another round of schooling. I was in a classroom learning electronics at least part of a week for 2 years. Good deal.
Back in youth when I believed the fairytales it would have been great fun to learn the evolution you did brother. I always had my suspicion that they were lying. Well, especially after Dallas. I did radio in vacuum tube days, a little...CW Ham stuff....and on my bookshelf rest sevral volumes on analogue radars from spark gap TR in W2. Still copy code a bit. Now I am an old fuddyduddy and totally obsolete. Had a good time though. Kevin, I am impressed with HAWK in the technical aspect. Seems almost elegant evolution....and I do hope we see a shoot off north of Vegas for cases of hooch. At one time the fellas called me "gunny" I don't know why. Shootin's one thang, killin's another. The Army did send me to school though. Not on HAWK, boilers and feedpumps... nice peaceful roundygothump machines. It was sorta fun. I thought the officers were ridiculous. Now the WW2 veteran officers...they're another story. Realists. And competent. Best!

While on holiday in Cornwall last week, we returned back to the gaff one afternoon and the time before dinner was entertained by the RAF - an A400 Atlas transport doing slow circuits at just a few thousand feet. Maybe 8-9minutes per lap? Came past eleven times that I counted. Looked huge 'coz it was moving slowly. Or perhaps looked like it was moving slowly 'coz it's huge?

Appeared to have partial flaps deployed. Cargo door at the rear was open. Made the turn in the same place just above our cottage and as it turned away I could see the upper surface with thick white condensation. Kept me amused for an hour or so.

I believe the RAF is replacing the aging fleet of C130 Hercules with the Atlas? But what do I know, they might have different transport rôles.

While on holiday in Cornwall last week, we returned back to the gaff one afternoon and the time before dinner was entertained by the RAF - an A400 Atlas transport doing slow circuits at just a few thousand feet. Maybe 8-9minutes per lap? Came past eleven times that I counted. Looked huge 'coz it was moving slowly. Or perhaps looked like it was moving slowly 'coz it's huge?

Appeared to have partial flaps deployed. Cargo door at the rear was open. Made the turn in the same place just above our cottage and as it turned away I could see the upper surface with thick white condensation. Kept me amused for an hour or so.

I believe the RAF is replacing the aging fleet of C130 Hercules with the Atlas? But what do I know, they might have different transport rôles.
The Airbus A400M Atlas[nb 2] is a European four-engine turboprop military transport aircraft. It was designed by Airbus Military (now Airbus Defence and Space) as a tactical airlifter with strategic capabilities to replace older transport aircraft, such as the Transall C-160 and the Lockheed C-130 Hercules.[3] The A400M is sized between the C-130 and the Boeing C-17 Globemaster III; it can carry heavier loads than the C-130 and can use rough landing strips. In addition to its transport capabilities, the A400M can perform aerial refueling and medical evacuation when fitted with appropriate equipment.

The above copied from Wikipedia.

Bit more research on the A400 Atlas. The Defence Secretary has confirmed that the RAF is replacing the 'ageing' Hercules fleet with the A400 which he says is a far superior aircraft. It is planned to provide both strategic and tactical lift capabilities. But it appears that many commentators including from within the Air Force and the Army are not all happy about this.

Reliability issues have reduced availability. Airbus Industries has confirmed that they are dealing with, for example, corrosion issues affecting the undercarriage. With a war in Europe, some think it is crazy to sell off the Herc right now. And there are suggestions that the Atlas has not yet shown the full range of abilities needed to deploy special forces. The suggestion is that the decision to retire the C130 - 'rushed out of service' - has been made on cost grounds . . .

Last edited:
Bit more research on the A400 Atlas. The Defence Secretary has confirmed that the RAF is replacing the 'ageing' Hercules fleet with the A400 which he says is a far superior aircraft. It is is planned to provide both strategic and tactical lift capabilities. But it appears that many commentators including from within the Air Force and the Army are not all happy about this.

Reliability issues have reduced availability. Airbus Industries has confirmed that they are dealing with, for example, corrosion issues affecting the undercarriage. With a war in Europe, some think it is crazy to sell off the Herc right now. And there are suggestions that the Atlas has not yet shown the full range of abilities needed to deploy special forces. The suggestion is that the decision to retire the C130 - 'rushed out of service' - has been made on cost grounds . . .
There's always the matter of flow...if the machinery goes one way, then the money goes the other way. Good point...why sell off or scrap proven machines with known supply logistics when there's "a war in Europe".
Why indeed? If we knew the entire story it would make sense, and we wouldn't like it. I am not so sure the war is confined to Europe though.

Meantime! Bigbigquiz subject> find the leaking pipe.... (enjoy!) RD-171MV
1687524569664.png

Last edited:
There's always the matter of flow...if the machinery goes one way, then the money goes the other way. Good point...why sell off or scrap proven machines with known supply logistics when there's "a war in Europe".
Why indeed? If we knew the entire story it would make sense, and we wouldn't like it. I am not so sure the war is confined to Europe though.

Meantime! Bigbigquiz subject> find the leaking pipe.... (enjoy!) RD-171MV
View attachment 245845
Like they say, follow the money.

Thanks for posting this @Grimly, the Valkyrie always fascinates as one of those nearly great aircraft. Iconic design. A good video, which also shows how the concept was outdated before the programme even started.

Back