Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

1688742339922.png

In 1942, Bell Aircrafts secretly built America's first jet, the P-59 Airacomet. Up until this point, a propeller was as important to a plane as tires were to a car. To keep this new project top secret, the P-59 was fitted with a fake propeller that it wore everywhere but in the air. One of the test pilots for the P-59 was a man named Jack Woolams. Jack didn't care one bit about this secrecy and made a hobby out of flying his jet as close to other planes as possible. To make these sighting even more special, he would dress up for the occasion. When men would go to the Air Force psychologist saying that they had seen a “loud, fast propellerless plane piloted by a gorilla in a derby hat, waving a stogie!” the psychologists would tell them, “That is impossible! How can a plane fly without a propeller?”
:laugh2:

1688757690589.png

"Lockheed Martin’s latest photos of the experimental X-59 Quiet Supersonic Technology aircraft, or QueSST, built by the company Skunk Works for NASA, provide perhaps the best view so far of its radical forward-vision system, as well as revealing the jet in an increasingly complete state. The aircraft, which provides no traditional forward visibility to its pilot, is by far one of the most incredible looking and outright exotic flying machines we have seen, with its side profile equally as impressive as its head-on view.
Ultimately, it’s planned that the X-59 will achieve supersonic speeds over land that create no more than a sonic ‘thump’ — rather than the ‘boom’ associated with previous supersonic transports. That could convince U.S. and international regulators to change the laws governing supersonic commercial aviation."

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/x-59-supersonic-test-jet-looks-positively-sci-fi-head-on

1688757807136.png

View attachment 246630

In 1942, Bell Aircrafts secretly built America's first jet, the P-59 Airacomet. Up until this point, a propeller was as important to a plane as tires were to a car. To keep this new project top secret, the P-59 was fitted with a fake propeller that it wore everywhere but in the air. One of the test pilots for the P-59 was a man named Jack Woolams. Jack didn't care one bit about this secrecy and made a hobby out of flying his jet as close to other planes as possible. To make these sighting even more special, he would dress up for the occasion. When men would go to the Air Force psychologist saying that they had seen a “loud, fast propellerless plane piloted by a gorilla in a derby hat, waving a stogie!” the psychologists would tell them, “That is impossible! How can a plane fly without a propeller?”
That’s a Band-Aid plane if ever I saw one 👩‍⚕️

Terrific low level fly by of several fighter jets.

Good stuff. That place is nicknamed Star Wars Canyon... or Jedi Canyon. A few yrs ago a Pilot flew into the ground there... killing himself and a few photographers. After that they restricted their minimum altitude. Look for some vids prior to about 2020. They were really hugging the ground back then.

Terrain avoidance/masking flying ain't for the faint of heart. ;)

Last edited:
My bad. He just killed himself. 7 Frenchmen were badly injured, but lived.
Yeah, I know... a regular debbie downer ain't I.... :rolleyes:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...fatal-super-hornet-crash-in-star-wars-canyon/

View attachment 247167

I was wondering where that was located, I’m sorry to hear about that crash. Back in 1975 I was an 18 year old kid just starting work at an open pit copper mine South of Globe Az. The mine was located on a mountain top that had some pretty deep canyons running next to it. We used to see jet fighters shooting through the canyons, just like that video, they used to show up at just about 4:00 pm every day. You had to watch for them in order to see them, because by the time you heard them they were gone! 😄
This map shows the mines location, I presume they were flying out of Davis Mountain Air Base in Tucson.
IMG_5983.jpeg

Actual name is Rainbow Canyon... though I've no doubt some militant anti-gay, trans... everything folk are already petitioning Cali to change the name... :rolleyes: ;)
There's several MOA's out your way Bob. I'm sure you were close enough to one of 'em to see some low level fun.

1689542485415.png

I feel a bit uneasy when they are pointing fingers at the pilot. Why not leave it as a defense secret.
Pilots make mistakes and Planes malfunctions. If you ask me I do believe there are technical problems
not getting the publicity. Maybe it is in hte Job Desciption to be the fall guy.But I am skeptical sometimes

Part of living in a free and open society Jan. Info is shared... both good and bad. The crash was thoroughly investigated for about a year when the report was released iirc. I've no doubt the pilot was at fault.
Consider.... at the speed he was traveling, optic nerve time plays a factor. That low and at that speed, by the time the eyeball registers something on the ground and the optic nerve transmits it to the brain, what he "sees" is actually about 100ft behind him.
It's an unforgiving environment where even one miscalculation can be deadly.
Aviation safety, both civilian as well as military, is built on a foundation of dead people. It's a cold hard fact. No point in hiding it.

Coincidental to reading about the return of the Cat, I was watching this the other day, and looked up the wreck on Google Earth.
It's still plainly visible.

Sure take 'r up, anyone can fly it....
1692379515970.png

The R-1 won the 1932 Thompson Trophy race, piloted by Jimmy Doolittle. He lapped all but one ship in the race, made easy turns and never had to come down and make a tight pylon turn. He also set a new F.A.I. world landplane speed record of 296 mph (476 km/h) in the Shell Speed Dash.
The distinction of a landplane record was noteworthy because, at that time, racing seaplanes outran landplanes, such as the then current speed record holder, a Supermarine S.6B which had averaged 407.5 mph (655.8 km/h) on September 1931.
The Springfield Union newspaper of September 6, 1932 quoted Doolittle as saying, "She is the sweetest ship I've ever flown. She is perfect in every respect and the motor is just as good as it was a week ago. It never missed a beat and has lots of stuff in it yet. I think this proves that the Granville brothers up in Springfield build the very best speed ships in America today."[4] Another Springfield paper of the same date quoted Doolittle as saying, "The ship performed admirably. She was so fast that there was no need of my taking sharp turns although if the competition had been stiffer I would have. I just hope Russell Boardman can take her out soon and bring her in for a new record. There were lots of things we might have adjusted more properly if we had had time to run tests with the ship, and they would have meant more speed. I am sure Russell Boardman can take her around at quite a bit more than 300 miles an hour so you see my record may not last long after all."
He also personally wrote Zantford "Grannie" Granville a letter dated September 7, 1932, on Shell Petroleum stationery and addressed to Granville Brothers Aircraft, which reads as follows:
Dear Grannie:
Just a note to tell you that the big G. B. functioned perfectly in both the Thompson Trophy and the Shell Speed Dash.
With sincere best wishes for your continued success, I am as ever.
Jim...
Privately, however, Doolittle was more concerned than he let on about the Super Sportster’s stability. “I could tell from the first moment that it was a touchy and probably unpredictable airplane. ... I didn’t trust this little monster. It was fast, but flying it was like balancing a pencil or an ice cream cone on the tip of your finger. You couldn’t let your hand off the stick for an instant, and I didn’t know how much angle of bank would be safe when making pylon turns.”
The R-1 rapidly acquired an reputation as a dangerous aircraft. This shortcoming was common to most racing machines of any kind. During the 1933 Bendix Trophy race, racing pilot Russell Boardman was killed, flying Number 11. During takeoff from a refueling stop in Indianapolis, Indiana, Boardman pulled up too soon, stalled the R-1 and crashed.[8]
The R-1 was repaired but with an 18 in (460 mm) fuselage extension, creating the "Long Tail Racer". The ship was painted with "I.F." on the cowl for intestinal fortitude and the same cartoon "Filaloola Bird" was painted on the side of the fuselage as it was on their successful Model YW. It was decided to save time by not to repairing the R-1 wings, but to use the original wings from the R-2, which had been removed in February 1933 when new wings with flaps were built and installed. The R-1/2, or "Longtail" aircraft carried race number 11 because the R-2's original wings were already painted as Number 11 and the repaired fuselage had to be painted regardless. This aircraft crashed in a landing overrun incident soon after it was built, but Roy Minor, the pilot, was not severely injured. The damage was not severe but there was no money left for repairs.
The unrepaired Long Tail Racer was sold to Cecil Allen before the sheriff's bankruptcy auction ended the Granville Brothers company. Allen renamed the ship "Spirit of Right", built an entirely new wing with a different airfoil and added a new rear fuel tank for the long distance Bendix race. Former Granville Bros. chief engineer "Pete" Miller wrote to Allen warning for him never to put fuel in the rear tank as it would move the center of gravity far to the rear and make the ship too tail heavy to be flown.
It is unlikely Allen ever attempted a fully fueled takeoff before the start of the race. In 1935 Allen started the 2,043 mi (3,288 km), Burbank to Cleveland Bendix Trophy race with all tanks full, wallowed off into the morning fog, crashed in a field just beyond the runway and was killed instantly. In spite of all the fuel, there was no fire. After this final crash, the aircraft was never rebuilt.
Photo-Description:
Aircraft: Gee Bee R-2
Reg: NR2101 photos
Serial #: GB-02
Airline: Private
Photo Date: Jan 01, 2012
Uploaded: Feb 14, 2012
Polk City Worlds Greatest Aircraft Collection - FA08, USA - Florida
PHOTOGRAPHER
by Angel Natal: Photos | Profile | Contact

Last edited:
Sure take 'r up, anyone can fly it....
View attachment 249461

The R-1 won the 1932 Thompson Trophy race, piloted by Jimmy Doolittle. He lapped all but one ship in the race, made easy turns and never had to come down and make a tight pylon turn. He also set a new F.A.I. world landplane speed record of 296 mph (476 km/h) in the Shell Speed Dash.
The distinction of a landplane record was noteworthy because, at that time, racing seaplanes outran landplanes, such as the then current speed record holder, a Supermarine S.6B which had averaged 407.5 mph (655.8 km/h) on September 1931.
The Springfield Union newspaper of September 6, 1932 quoted Doolittle as saying, "She is the sweetest ship I've ever flown. She is perfect in every respect and the motor is just as good as it was a week ago. It never missed a beat and has lots of stuff in it yet. I think this proves that the Granville brothers up in Springfield build the very best speed ships in America today."[4] Another Springfield paper of the same date quoted Doolittle as saying, "The ship performed admirably. She was so fast that there was no need of my taking sharp turns although if the competition had been stiffer I would have. I just hope Russell Boardman can take her out soon and bring her in for a new record. There were lots of things we might have adjusted more properly if we had had time to run tests with the ship, and they would have meant more speed. I am sure Russell Boardman can take her around at quite a bit more than 300 miles an hour so you see my record may not last long after all."
He also personally wrote Zantford "Grannie" Granville a letter dated September 7, 1932, on Shell Petroleum stationery and addressed to Granville Brothers Aircraft, which reads as follows:
Dear Grannie:
Just a note to tell you that the big G. B. functioned perfectly in both the Thompson Trophy and the Shell Speed Dash.
With sincere best wishes for your continued success, I am as ever.
Jim...
Privately, however, Doolittle was more concerned than he let on about the Super Sportster’s stability. “I could tell from the first moment that it was a touchy and probably unpredictable airplane. ... I didn’t trust this little monster. It was fast, but flying it was like balancing a pencil or an ice cream cone on the tip of your finger. You couldn’t let your hand off the stick for an instant, and I didn’t know how much angle of bank would be safe when making pylon turns.”
The R-1 rapidly acquired an reputation as a dangerous aircraft. This shortcoming was common to most racing machines of any kind. During the 1933 Bendix Trophy race, racing pilot Russell Boardman was killed, flying Number 11. During takeoff from a refueling stop in Indianapolis, Indiana, Boardman pulled up too soon, stalled the R-1 and crashed.[8]
The R-1 was repaired but with an 18 in (460 mm) fuselage extension, creating the "Long Tail Racer". The ship was painted with "I.F." on the cowl for intestinal fortitude and the same cartoon "Filaloola Bird" was painted on the side of the fuselage as it was on their successful Model YW. It was decided to save time by not to repairing the R-1 wings, but to use the original wings from the R-2, which had been removed in February 1933 when new wings with flaps were built and installed. The R-1/2, or "Longtail" aircraft carried race number 11 because the R-2's original wings were already painted as Number 11 and the repaired fuselage had to be painted regardless. This aircraft crashed in a landing overrun incident soon after it was built, but Roy Minor, the pilot, was not severely injured. The damage was not severe but there was no money left for repairs.
The unrepaired Long Tail Racer was sold to Cecil Allen before the sheriff's bankruptcy auction ended the Granville Brothers company. Allen renamed the ship "Spirit of Right", built an entirely new wing with a different airfoil and added a new rear fuel tank for the long distance Bendix race. Former Granville Bros. chief engineer "Pete" Miller wrote to Allen warning for him never to put fuel in the rear tank as it would move the center of gravity far to the rear and make the ship too tail heavy to be flown.
It is unlikely Allen ever attempted a fully fueled takeoff before the start of the race. In 1935 Allen started the 2,043 mi (3,288 km), Burbank to Cleveland Bendix Trophy race with all tanks full, wallowed off into the morning fog, crashed in a field just beyond the runway and was killed instantly. In spite of all the fuel, there was no fire. After this final crash, the aircraft was never rebuilt.
Photo-Description:
Aircraft: Gee Bee R-2
Reg: NR2101 photos
Serial #: GB-02
Airline: Private
Photo Date: Jan 01, 2012
Uploaded: Feb 14, 2012
Polk City Worlds Greatest Aircraft Collection - FA08, USA - Florida
PHOTOGRAPHER
by Angel Natal: Photos | Profile | Contact

I've got a book called The Worlds Worst Aircraft by James Gilbert. The Gee Bee racers are included in chapt. 8 I'll quote his last few sentences about them...

"So ends the prodigiously tragic history of the Gee Bees. At least, I hope it does, for the Conquistador del Cielo still exists; it is on public display at the Mexican Air Force base at Santa Lucia. I don't know what sort of state the ship is in. Bad, I hope, lest anyone should ever be tempted to try to rebuild her and fly her once more. Enough is enough."

I've got a book called The Worlds Worst Aircraft by James Gilbert. The Gee Bee racers are included in chapt. 8 I'll quote his last few sentences about them...

"So ends the prodigiously tragic history of the Gee Bees. At least, I hope it does, for the Conquistador del Cielo still exists; it is on public display at the Mexican Air Force base at Santa Lucia. I don't know what sort of state the ship is in. Bad, I hope, lest anyone should ever be tempted to try to rebuild her and fly her once more. Enough is enough."

gb.jpg

Gee Bee R2 replica flown by Delmar Benjamin at Oshkosh 2001
Just say'n

Back