Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

1945 Minnesota, State Fair Grounds Cattle Barn interior when used as a World War II airplane propeller plant .
1693699415502.png

Seen on FB but looking a bit I suspect it was BUILT as an industrial plant and was later converted to cattle barn use.
Not many cattle barns are built around a bridge crane.

What with all the hoopla around the F-35 that continued flying after the pilot ejected, I'm reminded of the Cornfield Bomber. It was an F-106... early seventies. The pilot ejected after the airplane wound itself up into a flat spin and wouldn't extricate itself. After his chute opened, the pilot, (then) Capt. Foust watched in disbelief as the '106 then righted itself and continued on it's merry way.... pilotless.
It even managed to land itself in a wheat field. The damage was so minor that the '106 was loaded on a flat bed, trucked back to base, repaired and returned to normal service. It now sits in all it's glory in the U. S. Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio.

I'm reminded of the Cornfield Bomber.

Ha! That was a great story!

Re: the original story about the F-35. The military is being rather coy about the circumstances. I seem to remember reading the the plane had been set on auto pilot before the pilot ejected.

What with all the hoopla around the F-35 that continued flying after the pilot ejected, I'm reminded of the Cornfield Bomber. It was an F-106... early seventies. The pilot ejected after the airplane wound itself up into a flat spin and wouldn't extricate itself. After his chute opened, the pilot, (then) Capt. Foust watched in disbelief as the '106 then righted itself and continued on it's merry way.... pilotless.
It even managed to land itself in a wheat field. The damage was so minor that the '106 was loaded on a flat bed, trucked back to base, repaired and returned to normal service. It now sits in all it's glory in the U. S. Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio.

Is it to over Think it .. Wondering why the aeroplane flyes and lands as long as the pilot is ejected -- not there
cannot fumble it up..I suppose those words would be heard in the locker room Afterwards

On a side note sitting in an Excavator it could happen it started bouncing up and down and rocking and the drivers seat had a Gas spring .So there could be interference with the machine movement and the operator .And if he did not quickly let go of joysticks and foot controls
It could feedback spiraling out of control Tipping over or so.

In the early days they used the backhoe as a carousel for fun -- Sitting in it and rotating the crane arm
But it ( hydraulics ) was later speed reduced.

Wondering why the aeroplane flyes and lands as long as the pilot is ejected
Pretty simple really, ejecting removes the pilot, canopy and ejection seat. I'd guess a total of about 5-600lbs. That loss of weight in the nose changes the center of gravity. That, in turn, changes the flight dynamics... allowing the aircraft to recover "itself" from the spin.

Pretty simple really, ejecting removes the pilot, canopy and ejection seat. I'd guess a total of about 5-600lbs. That loss of weight in the nose changes the center of gravity. That, in turn, changes the flight dynamics... allowing the aircraft to recover "itself" from the spin.
It also removes the jerky inputs from a panicked pilot

It also removes the jerky inputs from a panicked pilot
One supposes that's similar to when a person who finds 'emself out of his depth on a motorbike. The advice often cited by experts is let the bike sort itself out. The geometry is to a greater or lesser extent self correcting. To let the bike settle and geometry take over, best for the rider to do nothing or at least relax and do as little as possible. Probably sounds a lot simpler than it feels.

Last edited:
One supposes that's similar a person who finds 'emself out of his depth on a motorbike. The advice often cited by experts is let the bike sort itself out. The geometry is to a greater or less self correcting. To let the bike settle and geometry take over, best for the rider to do nothing or at least relax and do as little as possible. Probably sounds a lot simpler than it feels.
Airplanes, unlike motorcycles, have autopilots and electronic flight controls. Once the pilot is out of the picture, the airplane is solely flown by the engineers who designed it and the technicians who maintained it. Admittedly, a motorcycle is engineered for safe operation as well, but never to be without manual operation for the most part. Airplanes have a far greater degree of automation.

Couple points....
The pilot was promoted to Flight Leader as a 1st LT. It's a position not normally given to young'uns prone to "panic." By all accounts he was a very competent, cool headed pilot.

The '106 had a well deserved reputation for any departure turning into a flat spin.... and a reputation for not wanting to recover, even when using approved methods to do so. This weren't the first '106 that entered a spin the pilot couldn't recover from, nor was it the last.

Fighter pilots are aggressive by their very nature. The saying "train like you fight" applies here. He was in a dogfight... and in a dogfight there's a winner and a loser. In a "real" fight, the loser don't get a comfy bed at the end of the day. So that's how they train... like their life depends on it. Because in a "real" fight... it does. And when the fight's real, it isn't the time to be feeling your jet out to find the edge of the envelope, is it?

The '106, like any fighter really, has to be flown to the very edge of the envelope to get the best performance out of it. The pilot best and most comfortable at the "edge"... wins. And at the edge, you're one RCH away from losing it. It happens. That's why he continued his career as a fighter pilot. He wasn't faulted for doing his best to win... nor should he have been.

No fancy electronic flight controls in the '106. The Transistor was about 10yrs old when it first flew and the integrated circuit (chips) were a distant dream at least a decade away from reality.

Your Top Ten?

Mine:

F4U Corsair
F4 Phantom
SR71
F86 Sabre
P51 Mustang
P47 Thunderbolt
P40 Warhawk
P38 Lightning
P61 Black Widow
PBY Catalina

B17 should be in there but I limited myself to 10
I never met an airplane that I didnt like..........kinda partial to open cockpit biplanes, but, anything with wings will do.

forced out because of the jab...........
If you're saying you retired rather than get the jab, that's a conscious decision on your part.... as is your right I might add... no "forced" involved though.

Back