Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I drug the XS2 out of the barn this morning, about 65 degrees and breezy out. I didn’t go anywhere special, just rode around for about an hour. Lately I’ve kind of challenged myself to get better at kick starting my bikes, I’ve been lazy about just using the electric starter. I think I’ve hit upon the technique that works best for both bikes.
( For the first start of the day)

Gas on, choke on, key off and kick through twice. Then key on with the motor up against compression and one full stroke kick will usually start both of my bikes.
:bike:
86837246-6B04-41C0-A6F5-BD6D5E2832A4.jpeg

I drug the XS2 out of the barn this morning, about 65 degrees and breezy out. I didn’t go anywhere special, just rode around for about an hour. Lately I’ve kind of challenged myself to get better at kick starting my bikes, I’ve been lazy about just using the electric starter. I think I’ve hit upon the technique that works best for both bikes.
( For the first start of the day)

Gas on, choke on, key off and kick through twice. Then key on with the motor up against compression and one full stroke kick will usually start both of my bikes.
:bike:
View attachment 209990
Beauty bike! For your kick start instructions, a couple of questions. Throttle opened or closed; do you break clutch plates free first? Thx

Beauty bike! For your kick start instructions, a couple of questions. Throttle opened or closed; do you break clutch plates free first? Thx
The choke matters and the throttle doesn't. It's all about a little fuel in the combustion chamber. So, prime the bowls for the choke to have something to draw.

Thank You! Throttle closed and , yes before I even rolled it outside I kicked it a few times with the clutch pulled in to free up the clutch plates.

Got round the country roads a bit, lots of sand salt yet after our recent snow.
KIMG0698.JPG
Going back in the shed from this end wasn't going to happen, lots of mud under the snow.
KIMG0699.JPG
But was able to back it down and go around on the driveway.
Felt good to be out on two wheels for a couple miles.

View attachment 209995
Going back in the shed from this end wasn't going to happen, lots of mud under the snow.
View attachment 209998
Good for you.
Now, be a good lad and go fill that furrow back in 'fore the wife sees it. :boxing:

View attachment 209995
View attachment 209998
What swing arm are you using on Madness? Any mods to fit?

Out and about today during this exceptional” for this time of year” weather.
Not quite up to Mailman’s photo standards but it’ll do.
living on the doorstep of Gods great creation it would be rude not to.
The wall behind the bike is Yorkshire dry stone walling, and the formation atop the hill in the background is where they had to go for their materials.
77052F1D-1586-439D-8599-F045A1101C7B.jpeg

Out and about today during this exceptional” for this time of year” weather.
Not quite up to Mailman’s photo standards but it’ll do.
living on the doorstep of Gods great creation it would be rude not to.
The wall behind the bike is Yorkshire dry stone walling, and the formation atop the hill in the background is where they had to go for their materials.
View attachment 210210
Beautiful countryside, beautiful bike.

First ride of the year today. Hovering around 50° here at the hahbah, closer to 60° up in Ellsworth. Just rode up to my daughter's place to drop some stuff off, and came right home. Around 50 miles total.

Chilly but not uncomfortably so and the FJ woke up rarin' to go like it had done a 200 mile loop yesterday. I took it easier than normal what with cold roads, cold skills and the probability of sand in unfortunate places.

I've still got it...

Took a little loop through town, out to a dealer to buy tires and back home. I had leaned the jetting and wanted a spark plug read. Bike runs clean now, insulator is medium brown, a touch rich but way better than all black. Stopped at a local park on the lake.

Attachments

• 20220412_121508.jpg
    20220412_121508.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 59
One day I decided to go to the Wounded Knee cemetery. The dirt road up the hill was pure ruts and I knew the front would get caught and I would crash if I tried it, so I went up the hill beside the road through the grass, hill climb style. Somehow the bike stopped halfway up the hill but I got it started immediately again with the electric starter (which I hadn't removed, you idiots who remove them) and made it to the top. At the top was maybe a dozen N.A. sitting around like beggars. Maybe waiting for tourists although there were none around. Such is desperation. One of them said "You almost didn't make it." I said "almost only counts in hand grenades". I had honestly forgotten I had two hundred pounds of crap strapped on the back or I wouldn't have tried it. The N.A. melted away for some reason. Some reason I don't know. I tipped my hat at the cemetery. I noticed a dirt road down that didn't look quite as rutted so I tried it. I got caught in a rut and fell over. A '73 station wagon full of N.A. made a dust cloud up the hill like they'd been waiting for this, and while I was unstrapping the kitchen sink from Trigger to make her light enough to put upright, an upright young N.A. woman just picked her up and set her on her wheels. Then they just as quickly made a dust cloud back out of there. I'd marry her if I knew who she was. Worthy. Truth.

It broke my left mirror off and when I got to Sioux City I saw a machine shop sign and borrowed a tap there to try and straighten out the mirror socket. I knew what size to ask for. Don't ask me how. It wasn't happening so the guy there installed an insert but not without tapping for the wrong thread size first, blaming a guy who put the tap back in the wrong place (probably him). Then he tapped it for the right size right on top of that, at the end was incredulous that it worked. We all still bear the scars.
DSCI0066.JPG

Back