Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd say JP has had a couple long days in the saddle, riding down to Maggie Valley NC and staying in the Meadowlark Hotel. Well done, Sir, on a pretty & classic-looking Harley that deserves to be ridden.

Last edited:
I'd say JP has had a couple long days in the saddle, riding down to Maggie Valley NC
LOL: ya know I'm too much of a wimp for that! Trailered the 400mi (then ride):smoke:
20231004_091537.jpg

Rental cabin backs up to the crick, across the crick is the museum. May not visit this trip: just ridin'
LOL: ya know I'm too much of a wimp for that! Trailered the 400mi (then ride):smoke:
View attachment 252554
Awwww J.P., I ride my '05 R.K. every year from Florida to M.V. It ain't that hard. Heck, we did a ride from N.E. Fla. to Eddyville, Ky. in June.

Almost lost the front wheel today
100 km ride
Some rain showers 5 degrees Celsius lower temperature than last week ,in a Roundabout with warning sign for being slippery if wet
I believe the Asphalt is not good or something like that - I remember reading about it a couple of years ago .I took it reasonably careful ..But the front wheel was sliding slightly sideways
Had to stop turning and ride more straight toward the outside perimeter of the Roundabout decreasing speed .which was possible given the slow sped to begin with and no one else in the roundabout
Can have been mud from farm equipment also So be careful now in the fall with water leaves and mud

Almost lost the front wheel today
100 km ride
Some rain showers 5 degrees Celsius lower temperature than last week ,in a Roundabout with warning sign for being slippery if wet
I believe the Asphalt is not good or something like that - I remember reading about it a couple of years ago .I took it reasonably careful ..But the front wheel was sliding slightly sideways
Had to stop turning and ride more straight toward the outside perimeter of the Roundabout decreasing speed .which was possible given the slow sped to begin with and no one else in the roundabout
Can have been mud from farm equipment also So be careful now in the fall with water leaves and mud
Plowing is certainly a wake up call. We need to spend more time on dirtbikes to keep sharp.

Got even higher today
20231005_124803.jpg

On the road to Clingman's Dome......highest point in the "Smokies @ 6643'; it was much colder up there too:yikes:

20231005_134922.jpg

Back on the BRP - lower elevation and warmer....
20231005_141928.jpg

And back at the cabin; business picking-up at the museum

That sure looks like some beautiful country to ride in! 😍
Yes Sir!, it's hard to beat. I do a lot of quality rides locally - including Ohio 555 (world class),, but there's something about a National Park and all that extreme elevation change and "reputaional" roads to boot....

Last edited:
Yes Sir!, it's hard to beat. I do a lot of quality rides locally - including Ohio 555 (worls class),, but there's something about a National Park and all that extreme elevation change and "reputaional" roads to boot....
And in SMNP you get to hear the Elk bugle as a bonus!

BRECON BEACONS LOOP

There is something special about getting up at 6.00am on a sunny Sunday morning.
Dragging an unwilling body (read too much red wine last night) out of the warm bed is difficult; but the rewards are worth it.
Empty traffic free open roads, clean fresh air; and wonderful Welsh roads to journey on.

The ride up to the start point at Abergavenny from my home is good in itself; but what lies beyond is even greater.
In Abergavenny the Bikers Cafe is open in the bus station; So time for a Sausage and egg butty and a cup of Rosie Lee.
There are already quite a few bikers mingling around with lots of different machines. Its the place I wanted to bring Taffy (XS650), but The Brat (GS1200) will do the miles today.

A few of the assembled machines:

IMG_0455.jpg

The Brat amongts friends
IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg
IMG_0459.jpg

This bike grouping changed constantly; with all sorts of machines and riders out for the day.

The area below is the general overview:
The anti-clockwise route is basically a loop of the Brecon Beacons; using fast 'A' and 'B' roads and some unclassified cross mountain single track.

MAP.PNG

SECTION 1:
ABERGAVENNY - CRICKHOWELL A40 - TALGARTH A479 - BRONLLYS A479 - BRECON A470
SENNYBRIDGE A40 - CRAI A4067 - CNEWR A4067.

P1.PNG

Decent fast 'A' roads, initially following the River Usk (good salmon & trout fishing). A479 to Talgarth is a riot of bends and up and down whoops.
A40 to Sennybridge is fast with sweeping bends. Turn onto the A4067 the road follows the river Tawe and passes the Cray Reservoir.
cray res.PNG

There are plenty of reservoirs in the Brecon Beacons.

Further down this road at Craig y Nos you come to the National Show Caves Wales centre:

cav1.PNG
cav 2.PNG

cav 3.PNG
cav 4.PNG

A great place for family activities as well as visiting the caves.

SECTION 2
P2.PNG

CRAIG Y NOS - Turn left onto unclassified road to Henrhyd Falls.
batfalls.PNG

This Henrhyd waterfall / cave was used in the BATMAN movie The Dark Night Rises.

Join the A4221 at Coelbren, then A4109 to Glyneath.
Follow signs to Glyneath Golf Course at Pontneddfechan.
Then unclassified road to Comin y Rhos where there are 4 waterfalls to look at.

F1.PNG
F2.PNG

F3.PNG
F4.PNG

SECTION 3
P3.PNG

Continue towards Ystradfellte on to Sarn Helen Road.
This road runs along the river climbing and falling over the mountain to Devils Elbow:

de1.PNG

Devils Elbow, A great view down the valley. So called because of the steep drop and two vicious hairpins on the way down.

Onto Heol Senni
Where yo can enjoy a 'Good Day Out' walking Pigs in the countryside (Yes Really)!
pig.PNG

SECTION 4
Heol Senni - Brecon _ Abergavenny
P4.PNG

Really I'm just retracing my route in reverse from Brecon back along the A40.

A stop off in Crickhowell for a late lunch at the Bear Hotel (Great food and real ale)
CRICK 3.PNG

After lunch go across the road to the butchers F. E. Richards to buy the Sunday roast.
He sells the finest Welsh Black Beef. He only sells local beef (and other meat products) and claims he knows the cows by name!
He hangs the meat himself to ensure great flavour and tenderness.

BUTCHER 1.PNG
BUTCHER 2.PNG

BUTCHER 3.PNG

Yes I know it signed Barnsely Chops; that is the cut of meat not its origin!

From here its a short ride home in time to cook dinner that evening.

Anon
Ads,

Last edited:
BRECON BEACONS LOOP

There is something special about getting up at 6.00am on a sunny Sunday morning.
Dragging an unwilling body (read too much red wine last night) out of the warm bed is difficult; but the rewards are worth it.
Empty traffic free open roads, clean fresh air; and wonderful Welsh roads to journey on.

The ride up to the start point at Abergavenny from my home is good in itself; but what lies beyond is even greater.
In Abergavenny the Bikers Cafe is open in the bus station; So time for a Sausage and egg butty and a cup of Rosie Lee.
There are already quite a few bikers mingling around with lots of different machines. Its the place I wanted to bring Taffy (XS650), but The Brat (GS1200) will do the miles today.

A few of the assembled machines:

View attachment 252889

The Brat amongts friends
View attachment 252892

View attachment 252890 View attachment 252891
View attachment 252893 View attachment 252894

This bike grouping changed constantly; with all sorts of machines and riders out for the day.

The area below is the general overview:
The anti-clockwise route is basically a loop of the Brecon Beacons; using fast 'A' and 'B' roads and some unclassified cross mountain single track.

View attachment 252887

SECTION 1:
ABERGAVENNY - CRICKHOWELL A40 - TALGARTH A479 - BRONLLYS A479 - BRECON A470
SENNYBRIDGE A40 - CRAI A4067 - CNEWR A4067.

View attachment 252900

Decent fast 'A' roads, initially following the River Usk (good salmon & trout fishing). A479 to Talgarth is a riot of bends and up and down whoops.
A40 to Sennybridge is fast with sweeping bends. Turn onto the A4067 the road follows the river Tawe and passes the Cray Reservoir.
View attachment 252895
There are plenty of reservoirs in the Brecon Beacons.

Further down this road at Craig y Nos you come to the National Show Caves Wales centre:

View attachment 252896 View attachment 252897
View attachment 252898 View attachment 252899
A great place for family activities as well as visiting the caves.

SECTION 2
View attachment 252907
CRAIG Y NOS - Turn left onto unclassified road to Henrhyd Falls.
View attachment 252901
This Henrhyd waterfall / cave was used in the BATMAN movie The Dark Night Rises.

Join the A4221 at Coelbren, then A4109 to Glyneath.
Follow signs to Glyneath Golf Course at Pontneddfechan.
Then unclassified road to Comin y Rhos where there are 4 waterfalls to look at.

View attachment 252902 View attachment 252903
View attachment 252904 View attachment 252905

SECTION 3
View attachment 252908
Continue towards Ystradfellte on to Sarn Helen Road.
This road runs along the river climbing and falling over the mountain to Devils Elbow:

View attachment 252906
Devils Elbow, A great view down the valley. So called because of the step drop and two vicious hairpins on the way down.

Onto Heol Senni
Where yo can enjoy a 'Good Day Out' walking Pigs in the countryside (Yes Really)!
View attachment 252909

SECTION 4
Heol Senni - Brecon _ Abergavenny
View attachment 252910
Really I'm just retracing my route in reverse from Brecon back along the A40.

A stop off in Crickhowell for a late lunch at the Bear Hotel (Great food and real ale)
View attachment 252911

After lunch go across the road to the butchers F. E. Richards to buy the Sunday roast.
He sells the finest Welsh Black Beef. He only sells local beef (and other meat products) and claims he knows the cows by name!
He hangs the meat himself to ensure great flavour and tenderness.

View attachment 252912 View attachment 252913
View attachment 252914
Yes I know it signed Barnsely Chops; that is the cut of meat not its origin!

From here its a short ride home in time to cook dinner that evening.

Anon
Ads,
Thanks for the tour. There are those of us who would love to visit our ancestral home(s) that cannot. Your and Raymond's stories take me there.

Back