Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BRECON BEACONS LOOP

There is something special about getting up at 6.00am on a sunny Sunday morning.
Dragging an unwilling body (read too much red wine last night) out of the warm bed is difficult; but the rewards are worth it.
Empty traffic free open roads, clean fresh air; and wonderful Welsh roads to journey on.

What beautiful country to ride through! Thanks for the tour! 😃

First rode since mashing my finger. It’s doing much better!

Attachments

• IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3066.jpeg
    IMG_3066.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 46
Not the greatest color year from lack of rain. Still a great day to be potzing around on a bike.

KIMG4887.JPGKIMG4877.JPG
Devils Lake looking Northeast, the ranch/SOIR is in the mid-distance but not visible
KIMG4864_01_BURST1004864_COVER.JPGDSCN1288.JPG
Circus train cars and railroad car shops now circus wagon shops
DSCN1274.JPGDSCN1276.JPGDSCN1281.JPG
Better go scrub and attend to some maintenance on poor ole Madness.

Chilly with sunshine predicted for the northern Catskill mountains on wednesday of this week, so I loaded the '82 on the trailer at 7am for the 12 hour trip I do about twice a week during riding season. 3.5 hours to Mine Kill State Park in Blenheim, 5 hours of riding, load back up, then 3.5 hours for the return trip. The park was in bloom:

Today.2.jpg

Not being one for bike racks, I've usually used a backpack, but recently I figured out an effective mounting of a leather barrel bag for the '82 and '83 Heritage Specials. Easy on and off, velcro securing the front self-constructed straps and a clip for the rear.

Pisgah3.jpg
Pisgah6.jpg
Pisgah7.jpg

Up on Mount Pisgah looking south:

Pisgah2.jpg
Pisgah.jpg

Stopped at the Middleburgh Stewarts Shop for gas, ice cream, coffee and conversation. The picnic tables outside make for a great gathering place for bikers.

1697903221401.png

1697903280049.png

"The Rev" showed up on his new Royal Enfield; one of many friendly riders in the area.

Pisgah5.jpg
Pisgah4.jpg

This coming week is inviting us with partial sun and upper 60's, so I'll be back for what might be the last bike trip.
Then through November it will be all MX-5 touring, which is almost as good.

MIATACats.jpg

Chilly with sunshine predicted for the northern Catskill mountains on wednesday of this week, so I loaded the '82 on the trailer at 7am for the 12 hour trip I do about twice a week during riding season. 3.5 hours to Mine Kill State Park in Blenheim, 5 hours of riding, load back up, then 3.5 hours for the return trip. The park was in bloom:

View attachment 253743

Not being one for bike racks, I've usually used a backpack, but recently I figured out an effective mounting of a leather barrel bag for the '82 and '83 Heritage Specials. Easy on and off, velcro securing the front self-constructed straps and a clip for the rear.

View attachment 253745View attachment 253746View attachment 253747

View attachment 253749View attachment 253748

Stopped at the Middleburgh Stewarts Shop for gas, ice cream, coffee and conversation. The picnic tables outside make for a great gathering place for bikers.

View attachment 253752

View attachment 253753

"The Rev" showed up on his new Royal Enfield; one of many friendly riders in the area.

View attachment 253757View attachment 253756

This coming week is inviting us with partial sun and upper 60's, so I'll be back for what might be the last bike trip.

View attachment 253758

Wife and I have 99 and 2000 Miatas....closest thing you can get to a motorcycle and still be in a vehicle. :thumbsup:

HILLS 4.PNG

MALVERN LOOP
Its strange to think that just last Sunday I was riding in glorious sunshine.
The weather this week has been a torrent of biblical rain; sadly with loss of life.

Back last Sunday I could feel the grip of Autumn weather taking hold and knowing rides would become few and far between did the right thing and pulled The Brat out for a blast. My aim was to ride the hills around Malvern on the Welsh / English Boarder, overlooking the river Severn as it heads towards the Bristol channel.

The Route:

MALVERN LOOP.PNG

A late start today at 7.30pm sees me blasting down the M4 motorway to Chepstow, and up the Wye Valley to the first stop at Tintern Abbey.
This is an often used route for me to get to other destinations; but one of scenic beauty. Sadly the Autumn colours were not yet in the trees.

A stop at Tintern Abbey was rewarded with a cup of tea, and a photo opportunity:

Tint 1.PNG

TINT 2.PNG

The Brat in front of the Abbey

Then around the back of the abbey in the main car park I stumble across..........
The Wye Valley Velocette Owners Club. on a ride out.

VELO 1.PNG

Yes a few interlopers, but classics never the less.

VELO 2.PNG

Amazing machines in various states of repair (dis-repair). All in about 15 Velocette bikes came and went.
Nice bunch of blokes to; happy to chin wag about the machines they rode, and the ones in the garage!
Many ride other bike brands both vintage and new. A few took a liking to The Brat too!

Onward to Monmouth, following the black line on the route map the A449.
Skirt around Ross On Wye, its a fast road to follow through Munch Marcle and Ledbury; both fine towns and worth a visit.
The road sweeps and turns as we approach the Malvern Hills ahead.

At Ledbury we are at the foot of the hills, which form a natural national park area, turn right onto some 'B' roads.
These smaller roads twist and thread over the hills in a riot of steep ups and downs; with some butt clenching tight corners!
Its not a place to get over enthusiastic, or too late on the brakes, and I found myself in the wrong gear once or twice!!
ROADS 1.PNG

ROADS 2.PNG

We traverse around the east side of the hills and into Malvern itself.

MALVERN TOWN 1.PNG

A picturesque town with many interesting shops, cafe and historic buildings.

MALVERN COLLAGE.PNG

MALVERN COLLAGE a place of education apparently!

MALVERN GIRLS SCHOOL.PNG

MALVERN GIRLS SCHOOL A place of educated girls.........:umm:

RESTORED TRAIN STATION.PNG

MALVERN TRAIN STATION. Has been restored to its former glory.
Restored by a bunch of volunteer train enthusiasts.

SOME VIEWS FROM THE HILL TOPS
HILLS 1.PNG

FORT.PNG

An old hill fort.

HILLS 2.PNG

HILLS 5.PNG

HOMEWARD BOUND

The blue route home follows similar roads to the out bound, just a different fast efficient way home.
Over the hills once more to Ledbury, then A49 / A40 Hereford to Ross.
'B'roads through Mitcheldean and Coleford; pick up A449 to Monmouth.
All fabulous biking roads with great countryside.

Then to Raglan passing the majestic castle which you can see from the road:
Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 18.37.57.png

Finally my usual run back down to Usk and home.

Another great day out on the bike :bike: with brilliant roads, lovely sights and nice people to chat too.

Ads.:devil:

View attachment 253743

View attachment 253745View attachment 253746View attachment 253747

View attachment 253749View attachment 253748

View attachment 253752

View attachment 253753

View attachment 253757View attachment 253756

View attachment 253758

Great images and it Looks like Autumn colours have reached you early?

Awesome ride thnx for sharing @YamadudeXS650C !
You guys! Been looking at Miatas how tall are you and hows the fit/comfort? I'm 6'3" but not very wide.
Width is rarely an issue, as there is pretty good side to side room.

But at 6'0" it is quite cramped in my 2002 NB at the footbox with the seat all the way back. If I get a calf leg cramp I have to pull over and get out.

A number of years ago I got accepted into an MX-5 racing series which required heal-and-toe shifting. My years of enduro kart racing were in a vehicle that did not have a clutch, so I started to learn H&T, but I couldn't negotiate it because there wasn't the room in the footbox for my size 12 feet! :(

This MX-5 footbox has been de-cluttered:

Last edited:
View attachment 253769

MALVERN LOOP
Its strange to think that just last Sunday I was riding in glorious sunshine.
The weather this week has been a torrent of biblical rain; sadly with loss of life.

Back last Sunday I could feel the grip of Autumn weather taking hold and knowing rides would become few and far between did the right thing and pulled The Brat out for a blast. My aim was to ride the hills around Malvern on the Welsh / English Boarder, overlooking the river Severn as it heads towards the Bristol channel.

The Route:

View attachment 253744

A late start today at 7.30pm sees me blasting down the M4 motorway to Chepstow, and up the Wye Valley to the first stop at Tintern Abbey.
This is an often used route for me to get to other destinations; but one of scenic beauty. Sadly the Autumn colours were not yet in the trees.

A stop at Tintern Abbey was rewarded with a cup of tea, and a photo opportunity:

View attachment 253750
View attachment 253751
The Brat in front of the Abbey

Then around the back of the abbey in the main car park I stumble across..........
The Wye Valley Velocette Owners Club. on a ride out.

View attachment 253754
Yes a few interlopers, but classics never the less.

View attachment 253755
Amazing machines in various states of repair (dis-repair). All in about 15 Velocette bikes came and went.
Nice bunch of blokes to; happy to chin wag about the machines they rode, and the ones in the garage!
Many ride other bike brands both vintage and new. A few took a liking to The Brat too!

Onward to Monmouth, following the black line on the route map the A449.
Skirt around Ross On Wye, its a fast road to follow through Munch Marcle and Ledbury; both fine towns and worth a visit.
The road sweeps and turns as we approach the Malvern Hills ahead.

At Ledbury we are at the foot of the hills, which form a natural national park area, turn right onto some 'B' roads.
These smaller roads twist and thread over the hills in a riot of steep ups and downs; with some butt clenching tight corners!
Its not a place to get over enthusiastic, or too late on the brakes, and I found myself in the wrong gear once or twice!!
View attachment 253760
View attachment 253761

We traverse around the east side of the hills and into Malvern itself.

View attachment 253759
A picturesque town with many interesting shops, cafe and historic buildings.

View attachment 253762
MALVERN COLLAGE a place of education apparently!

View attachment 253763
MALVERN GIRLS SCHOOL A place of educated girls.........:umm:

View attachment 253764
MALVERN TRAIN STATION. Has been restored to its former glory.
Restored by a bunch of volunteer train enthusiasts.

SOME VIEWS FROM THE HILL TOPS
View attachment 253765
View attachment 253766
An old hill fort.

View attachment 253767
View attachment 253768

HOMEWARD BOUND

The blue route home follows similar roads to the out bound, just a different fast efficient way home.
Over the hills once more to Ledbury, then A49 / A40 Hereford to Ross.
'B'roads through Mitcheldean and Coleford; pick up A449 to Monmouth.
All fabulous biking roads with great countryside.

Then to Raglan passing the majestic castle which you can see from the road:
View attachment 253778

Finally my usual run back down to Usk and home.

Another great day out on the bike :bike: with brilliant roads, lovely sights and nice people to chat too.

Ads.:devil:
Wonderful roads and scenery!
This is what I look for when I go mountain riding:

1697911524941.png

.... and the Catskills provide it:

1697911612151.png

Awesome ride thnx for sharing @YamadudeXS650C !
You guys! Been looking at Miatas how tall are you and hows the fit/comfort? I'm 6'3" but not very wide.
...and then there's the seat issue: The lower NA (early, Gen I) seat back might hit your head/neck (at 6'3") in an unsafe manner, as there is no separate headrest.

My NB gen II MX-5 was fitted with a custom NA seat, in fact, which is able to tuck under the BigDog racing roll bar, but my head would hit the bar if I was rear-ended, so I fabricated these additional cushions to protect me:

MiataSeat.jpg

Stock NA seat:

1697913499705.png

The stock NB taller seat (2001 to 2005) might suit you:

1697913147500.png

Last edited:
Back