Just stranded. Voltage Regulator Rectifier Smoking :-(

Thanks for the link, full of good info.
In my case the part that failed was part of a kit, so my Reg/Rec was supposedly a matched part.
My PAMCO is doing great, has worked great on both the older charging system and also with the PMA. The achilles heel of this PMA kit seems to be the Reg/Rec quality. I want to replace that with the best option there is.
No its not just the rec/reg unit that is poor quality. The actual PMA itself can have soldering problems and other meltdowns of wiring.
The only option to get a high quality PMA is to buy high quality parts and that means buy Japanese parts.
A member called mrriggs has a lot of good experience using Japanese parts:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to...p-also-known-as-the-banshee-swap.5536/page-13

I have done two PMA conversions. Both times I bought Yamaha parts from a wrecker. The parts are used but are factory quality and to date have proved very reliable. However buying used electrical components can be a gamble if you don't know the wrecker.
Do you know why the fuse blew, if it is a glass type you may get some clues as to why by looking closely at it.
In overload faults the ends of the fuse wire will be melted back and be balled up on the end, short circuits the wire explodes and sprays metal around the inside of the glass.
I have a modern blade type fuse box. All of my wires are still in very good shape. Upon inspection it seems obvious that the Reg/Rec was the culprit. It basically cracked open in the back and just bled out.
xs_charge_bad_regrec_by_5bodyblade-dan3y09.jpg

Josh from Tc Bros. refunded my money for the bad Reg/Rec, Thank you Josh.
I did quite a bit of research and made a decision to get my new Reg/Reg from Jack Fleming at Roadstercycle.com
It arrived today and I took a photo to show anyone who may be interested the difference between the new one and the one that failed.
The new one has really nice plugs, thicker gauge wiring and an inline circuit breaker. The mount holes also match the ones on the XS650 which is good.
recreg_by_5bodyblade-danbxos.jpg

A little research finds that Shindengen is a Japanese company, and that is a very good thing, because they work hard to make high quality products. Their manufacturing plants appear to be in Laos, Phillipines and Thailand, and that is not a bad thing, as the
Shindengen company will ensure they build to a high standard.
Its become very common for Japanese companies to move their factories to other countries, to reduce labour costs. As long as they maintain the high quality, then its a win/win situation.
The E-bay company clearly states its product is made in China.

I've had my problems with ebay starter solenoids and regulator/rectifiers. I don't know why, but I keep thinking that there are good $30 reg/rec and $5 solenoids out there. Trying NAPA, Radio Shack and Briggs and Stratton knock off for this bobber. The Hondas are good for now, just short of one reg/rec right now, I've been swapping a good one between two bikes, and no spare starter solenoids at this time.

Rotors, rotors, rotors, three bikes, Yamaha and Honda, fun never ends

Solenoids, solenoids, solenoids !!!!!!!

Reg/rec, reg/rec, reg/rec !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, I forgot about the '75 GoldWing, that's another list, it's been scavenged for the other Hondas.

Scott

Last edited:
Quote; "I don't know why, but I keep thinking that there are good $30 reg/rec out there."
There are very good $34 regulators out there on E-bay, such as the nos automotive, Standard VR-115 regulator. Its worked great for me for the last 9 years. Perfect for the 1970 to 1979 XS650.

I just paid £60 for UK manufactured breaklines because £12 from China was too good a bargain to miss?

Quote; "I don't know why, but I keep thinking that there are good $30 reg/rec out there."
There are very good $34 regulators out there on E-bay, such as the nos automotive, Standard VR-115 regulator. Its worked great for me for the last 9 years. Perfect for the 1970 to 1979 XS650.

That's what I'm using for the bobber, may try to stuff one in the Honda.

Scott

Back